Single stitch function- won't single stitch!

Ok, I hope someone may know the answer to this.

I have been stitching a panto for the last 2 hours, no problems. Had to stop momentarily to frog a small section and then tried to resume. But no, the single stitch function is doing it's own thing and no longer is behaving in a single stitch manner! I can't even draw my bobbin thread to the top as it just keeps on stitching. Could temperature affect the machine like that? It's 30 C, which is about 86 F.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Since your machine is warmed up, adjust the #8 screw under the hood. Look in your manual for location and which way to turn to slow it down. Dawn shared recently that this is a common occurrence. That's the reason they made the screw easily accessible and the adjustment easy to make. Good luck!

Thanks Linda. After turning the machine off then back on, it played nice for about 3/4's of a row. It started doing the no single stitch thing again, so I followed the directions with adjusting the #8 screw. It made no difference. When it has it's little moment doing this, the lights in the head on the left side flicker. 4 and 5 intermittently with also number 6 less frequently.

I hope someone knows the issue and how to resolve it, otherwise this panto is going to take forever to do!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions here. The issue is resolved and I'm back quilting and have gained a little bit more knowledge on how my machine behaves, or should I say misbehaves, when the moment takes it.

This forum rocks! :)

How did you fix your issue? It is always good to file away solutions for future reference!

Sue, I'm not 100% sure that I fixed it, but think it may have resolved itself. I did try the suggestions mentioned here, but had no success in resolving the problem initially. Lyns comment here though, made me think of the other times I have had machine issues, which makes me think yesterday's performance somehow may have been power related, with an inconsistent power supply. I don't know if it is purely coincidence or not, but yesterday was very warm, which equates to lots of power usage. And I'm on the power grid, as the open cut mine that generates our power is approx 45 mins away. When I went to the machine later in the evening when the temperature had dropped, it didn't play up at all.Today is half the temperature of yesterday with rain, so it will be interesting to see how the machine performs today.

I do have an UPS box, but don't as a rule run it with my machine attached. I believe at times, it has created it's own set of minor issues with the machine. (When the machine was running off it, the machine was doing a very similar, although less frequent thing with the needle up/down function) I had my brother check the UPS box, which from the readings it gave his equipment, appeared normal. He did say though, when under load it is possible that it's performance may be compromised due to several factors, which in turn could create an inconsistent power supply. ( Can you see why I'm thinking this is starting to sound familiar?) The only way to know what is happening with it, is to plug it into my laptop and get the data. So it looks like that's what I'll be doing in the next couple of days, to see if I can isolate the issue with all this. I'm fairly certain though, unless my machine is getting full throttle from her power source, she plays up! I will post my findings, when I get them. :)

I hope that you won't have anymore problems and all will be well. I remember a couple of posts during the summer here about strange things happening with machines that were located under air conditioning vents. I don't remember the details, or who it was that posted about the problems, but if your machine is under an a/c vent that may also be something to consider. I haven't yet had any trouble with my Millie and the power but if I am using my Bernina and the power supply isn't quite right it hums and buzzes at me!

Archived