Using fun fonts for quilting

I've been working on a design for my grand baby's quilt and wanted to put his name on it with fancy embroidery along with a monkey applique when it dawned on me that I could make his name using a fun font in my word processor, then print out using the outline font mode and cut the letters of his name out that way in fabric. I'm guessing this idea is not new but it's one I hadn't thought of until I started embroidery font shopping and didn't find what I wanted!

Dafont.com has a ton of neat free fonts that are great for this kind of project and some of the dingbats would make for great quilting motifs.

Anyway, if you are bored and are looking for some neat, free quilting motifs, check out Dafont.com and look through the dingbats. There are some really neat Victorian scrolls that would make some beautiful quilting designs!

I also found some free online coloring book sites that would make adorable applique projects!(personal use only) Here's the monkey I've chosen for my grand baby's quilt.

Free Printable monkey coloring page - from ProjectsforPreschoolers.pdf

Bonnie how cute is that? I just got a KNK Zing cutting machine and my primary purpose was to cut out applique foundation pieces, the Sharon Schamber method. I cut my first foundation last night and it is so cool! It is definitely a learning experience but I've only had my machine since Tuesday so I'm pretty proud of myself. You can auto trace almost any design and then the machine does the cutting! It is so exact. You could use this PDF, turn it into a svg file and then send it to the cutter! You can even cut out fabric that is already has fusible ironed onto it. You can mirror the image too so that you have them cut right. It is a way cool tool primarily used by scrapbookers but it cuts plastic, vinyl, rubber, even balsam wood! I am amazed and wonder why I didn't get this a long time ago. It comes with software from MTC for only $399. I am so thrilled that I won't have to cut all the foundations and I can use that to needle turn the applique or use fusible if I want that look.

Bonnie I had never heard of it either but I'm amazed at what this machine will do! I couldn't wait for Santa so I'll call it my after wedding reward :D ! You can join the MTC yahoo group and there are tons of tutorials and files there. I'm amazed at how much is available! You can download the software I think as a demo and get to know it while you wait. OK and all of you that now need this new toy do NOT give them my number! LOL

Oh and I'm thinking of all the ways I can use it for my quilting too! I can make a stencil of different size circles for marking or any shape I can design. I'm so excited about this and how I can use it for my quilting. For anybody else that is intersted this is where I ordered it from and service was great! http://make-the-cut.com/ I ordered an extra blade and a fabric blade and 2 extra mats. I need to find a bigger mat though because the cutter can cut 15" wide but the mat that comes with it is only 12" wide, really 14" wide but there is a 1" border on it. I did find a place to order a mat that was 14.75 x 26" and that is probably what I'll order. I also want the embossing tool because I have to try some of the paper stuff for Madison and Kailey! I've already gotten a Santa Advent Calendar that you glue cotton balls on each down to count down. Too cute. It will be a project for me and Maddie to work on this weekend.

Bonnie, If you get the punch tool you can punch plastic or paper to make you own stencils for using the powder. If you get the pen tool, you can design your own pantographs and print them out! I am not sure on the length limit (drawing with the pen) of this cutter, but most cutters (I had a Summa) the limit is way beyond the length of our tables anyway. I haven't heard of this machine before but it has far more options than a Cricut and similar cutters which require cartridges. Maybe Santa will be generous and put one under the tree!

I've been wondering when some company was going to come up with one with enough downforce and pressure to do fabric and keep it in a smaller size. Looks like they've done it. Heidi, let me know how it goes with drawing accuracy over length - if it stays accurate over 12-14 foot I just might invest in one, too. Oh, also, to get roll paper that you don't have to pay an arm and leg for (to use the pen adapter) to do some stencils and pantos, check with a local newspaper office. I still buy rolls of the heavier 12-20" wide whiter newsprint. Around here we can get it for a donation price which the office says most do between $4 - $8 roll depending on what is left on the roll and the weight of the paper.

after reading this post, i ordered it! but since they use fed ex they could not deliver to my po box so they cancelled the order...and they emailed me about it....i emailed back saying it would have been nice if they would have emailed me for a shipping address and thanks for saving me the money....sigh...what customer service...

Archived