Won't we receive some blocks later than our birthday.

I have a strange question, but I got to thinking about this. For those people who have January birthdays, they have already received some blocks, but they may make blocks for people who have Oct. or Nov. birthdays, in addition to blocks for the ones who have sent to them already. Then the Oct. or Nov. people will owe the January people a block, so they may get blocks late in the year. Is this correct?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm planning on making a block for everybody on the list Vicki sent me. My birthday is in May, but for some people I won't make their block until summer or later. So those people would send me a block after I've made theirs, right.

I want to use all the blocks I receive to make one friendship quilt. Is that pretty much what everybody else has planned too? If so, it doesn't look like the January people got very many blocks so far.

I know what you mean. I'm making for everyone, but I'm going ahead and making them for everyone in random order, but hope to be done by the end of February. That way people with later birthdays won't have to wait all year to receive blocks. My birthday is in November, so I'm hoping some people besides me will be doing that too. but if not that's their choice.

I've been having a blast with it. I keep thinking of the people I've sent blocks to opening their mail and finding a block inside, and hoping they like what I've picked. I'm more picky on those than what I do for myself. So far I've mailed 11, and hopefully by next week around 20. But that's the way I've decided to do it for myself. I've enjoyed it so much that I almost wish we'd go through the list several times a year, but I'm sure that might get old.

It could get confusing. I can see how it's not the same with birthday block exchanges as it would be with some that are done in around 6 weeks. We just have to be able to work it out and "go with the flow"

I just took the spread sheet Vicki made sorted it by Birthday months and will make each month one at time so far I did all of January except for one because she said she only wanted 21 blocks and I was lower on the list. I have done Febs and will be working on March this week I would like to stay one month ahead.

so I'm not sure how to answer your question but I think January babies have not posted everything they have recieved so far and I am sure people are slow to start.

I can assure you just doing alot of these type of swaps you wil not get back as many blocks as you send. That is just a fact. People get sick, people forget, people simply stop, what ever the reason is its just happens. they don't mean too but life gets in the way.

I just took the list and will make them as they come up and what ever comes my way is great. If I stick to the list Vicki sent out hopefully I won't miss anyone I also track there who sent me one so I can balance it out as we go

but people need to post when they get the blocks-- I have edited my sign up post when I recieve and when I send so it will be on one list online too, just incase something gets lost in the mail.

just have fun

My plan is to take this list and sort it out by months and try to get everyone their block by the end of their birthday month. I've rec'd 6 blocks so far and it's so much fun to walk to the end of the lane and find a surprise there in the mailbox!!! I'll finish making up January babies today and probably send them out on Monday...

Sandra

I am a Jan baby and I have quite a few blocks here and hope to photograph and post them later today.

I have enlarged the spreadsheet and am going thru it and seeing what peple want. For instance there area group that like blue and yellow so I am likely going to make those at one time. Some want a particualr size so again I might batch those.

I am just simply going to go thru my spreadsheet and be sure to make eveyone a block they like. There is no real method to my madness as I will pick and choose till they are all finished and sent. A Jan baby might get the last block and a Dec baby might get the first.

I do want to say the I just love the beautiful blocks that have already come my way!!!!!!!!

I am going to a retreat in two weeks and hope to get a number of blocks done there. I am one of those people that do not like to put things off till the last minute so I will hopefully have all my blocks sent in the next few months. I am picking up my machine on Sat (unless we have so much snow I cannot get down the long steep driveway...........it is on the way) so I can start working. I have a backup machine but there is no way I want to try to make precise 1/4 inch seams on it....................it is my little daughters machine and does not have a 1/4"foot or all the bells and whistles of my TOL Phaff that can sew beautifully thru one layer or 8 without faultering.

Even though I'm an organized person, I usually do things in random order, not sequentially January first then through the months in order. I am planning on getting to everyone at some point in the year. If your birthday goes by and you don't have a block from me yet, just wait, it's coming. Maybe we should have called this program a friendship block instead of a birthday block and left our dates out of it. I'm probably having the most fun since I get to communicate with all of you. Happy stitching.

Vicki

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I was a late joiner to the block swap so some people will be getting their blocks a little late. I just started the March and April blocks and then plan to back peddle to Jan/Feb. I'm planning on then getting everyone their blocks near their birthdays so it's spread out though the year. There are alot of people on the list but it only turns out to be 4-6 blocks a month. I love this swap, trying to make the blocks to everyone's preferences has made me start to cut into my stash which is something I desperately need to do. I was amazed at the fabrics, colors and yardage that I already own! Hope everyone like the blocks.DB

Archived