I'm so excited!!!

:cool: I'm excited for you too, sort of. I missed out of the bargain pantos but I went online last night and ordered 15 NEW ones!!! Our two local quilt guilds are scheduled to have a featured display at Sisters again this year. Last year I remembered having to quickly quilt a number of their special display quilts at nearly the last minute and custom would have given me a brain melt. But I wasn't going to use the same panto on every quilt. They each had to have their own look. Gotta love those pantos for getting your quilts in and out of the studio in a hurry.

Have lots of fun! ~~ Eva H.

PS: Even at full price, I think they're a real bargain for the return on your dollars spent. I just delivered a King-sized quilt that was done with a $15 panto and earned nearly $200. Even if I never used that panto again, I'd say it paid for itself already. But it's darn cute, and I'll bet it will get used again many times.

OK, I've got to ask. Explain why pantos are so good. I hate them. I will use them if really pushed but I don't do it from choice.

I find them tricky to use, I seem to get all manner of odd aches and pains when I do them. I also don't really like the look of an allover pattern most of the time.

I can tell a lot of longarm quilters really like their pantographs, so I guess I must be missing something. Please enlighten me.

Ferret

I still prefer the front of the machine.

I was so bad, jiggly lines and sore back when I first started to learn how to do a panto. What I do like about them is that I find it good training for learning shapes and switchbacks that work well on a quilt. I still tense up a little, my shoulders ache and I find that I sometimes hold my breath. Hello...... So I really have to focus on relaxing my shoulders, no death grip on the handles and it's OK to come off the line a little. ;)

I have bought several, some I have never used but will someday. I cataloged my pantos and my thread. Yeah, I know, techy-twerp. But I ask you, "Who needs dupes?" I can look at my PDA (personal digital assistant) to see if I already have that color thread or that panto while I'm standing in the longarm store. Hey, it works for me.:cool:

I have 78 pantos, that does not include the borders. Some designers, like Deb Geissler, throw in a border with the panto. I have also built up my inventory of thread. My collection of thread is still nowhere close to Cheryl Uribe's, though :P. That girl has some wonderful thread. Take a look at the thread "How to store fabric" on this page if you want to see what I aspire to for a thread collection.

Penny, I hope that you are practicing with those new pantos. When I get a new one, I cut off the last repeat (12 - 18 inches) and then put an old piece of mylar on top of it. I use a dry erase pen on the mylar to trace the pattern, erase it and start over. Great muscle memory builder for when you actually put the panto on the machine to use it. I usually dry run a panto, that is I setup the panto on the table and walk along the quilt using the panto with the laser on but the stitching turned off. It gives me the feel of the movement and I know where to stop at the end of a row. If you do that a few times, you will find it easier to anticipate turns and changes in direction on the panto.

And congrats on snapping up those patterns.:)

Archived