custom quilting

When custom quilting do you load your quilt side ways and quilt the borders first then stablize your blocks (quilting in the ditch) then finish your other side? When your through with that then do you take your quilt off and reload from the top and then proceed from the top. I've had my millennium since last August and have learn how to freehand from edge to edge, now its time to try custom quilting. Thanks for your help in advance.

Patty

Patty...that sounds like a lot of extra work to me....I personally just start at the top and work down.

Its what works for me....and haven't had to much trouble. You will always find the quilt that wasn't square to begin with and no matter what you do with that one it will either become a gorgeous beauty, or man I'm glad that ones done.

I will start at the top do the top border or borders...then start on the body of the quilt, and each side border(s) if I can do what I need to as I go....IF I can't and only if I can't then I will complete the body, the bottom and THEN flip the quilt to do the sides...

I'm not one to do extra if I don't have to. The instructions you read, may very well, be correct for the person(s) that works that way. You will find that whatever works for you will be the way PATTYBLACK does things. There really isn't a right way or a wrong way...its more of what works for you.

Good luck and happy quilting.

Hi Patty--

I also start at the top and work down. Border seams and around the blocks are, of course, the places to stabilize if you need to. Some quilters don't even do that. (SID is ruler work and thus pricier for most people.) If you are doing custom and charging for it, SID is appropriate and a great look.

Do a search for "turning the quilt" for lots of advice and to hear of other quilter's problems and solutions. Most of us would love it if we never have to turn a quilt--time consuming and sometimes a little tricky.

I'm better at the top and bottom borders because the brain is used to writing that way I guess. Practicing designs vertically helps a lot and most times I will lightly mark the borders to stay on track. Find your favorite method and go for it!

Most of all, have fun and stretch your wings!

Linda R

Olympia

Sometimes you must turn a quilt to make the border design work, especially if you are using a panto for the border. It is not that hard, just takes a little time.

I learned from this list to trim the sides with a ruler and rotary cutter before putting the quilt back on the leaders so that you have straight edges to pin onto the leaders.

Hi,

I also work from the top down and never have had any problems. You just need to baste the sides as you go and watch that things are staying straight, especially with all those less than straight tops. I rarely turn a quilt to do a border. Most of the time, I will pin baste as I go and then do the sides at the end. I do the needle down and roll technique to make it one continuous border.

Kay

I begin with the body of the quilt and work from the top down. I will SITD all around as I go. Then I go back and to the borders top and bottom. Then I remove the quilt trim the side and reload sideways to do the borders on the side. I charge $15.00 to turn the quilt and it usually takes me 15-20 min to do so...............goes pretty quilck. I have never had anyone balk at the exta fee so for me it is worth it to turn because then I can do the long continuous border uninterrupted......................I do lots of feathers.

If the border is not continuous I will not turn but will still do the body of the qilt first and then do the borders last.

Linda,

I think the reason you put the needle down (into the quilt) before rolling the the section of the quilt that you just quilted into the take-up roller... the reason you put the needle down is to keep your thread and stitch in the same spot so you can start again exactly where you left off when you stopped quilting. Keeping the needle parked down in the fabric keeps the head of the quilting machine from moving while you are rolling the quilt into the take up roller. Once you have rolled the quilt, the new (empty) quilting area is in view so you are able to continue stitching the border design.

OK I think I just confused myself with all of the gobbly gook I just wrote. Clear as mud to you, I'm sure. :D

Shana

Thank you everyone

I have 2 quilts of my own that I want to custom quilt, didn't know were to start. I'm going to draw on some muslin first and practice a little first.

I have the extender for the SITD, so I guess I"m set. I just got my machine last August and have been doing edge to edge quilting and decided it was time to move on. I've also heard of the neddle down put have never tried it. So its time to learn some new methods.

Thanks again

Patty

Hi Linda,

I think Shana explained it very well. I do this mostly with feathered borders as I can get the same look as I would if I reloaded. For me, it is easier and I have fewer problems. You can start right where you left off and the feathers come out just as smoothe. The important thing is to baste the sides as you go and place pins in the middle sections of the unquilted borders as you roll. This will prevent the back from slipping or becoming distorted as you continue quilting the body of the quilt.

Kay

Hi Linda---

A little word of caution---when you advance the top with the needle down, pay close attention so that you don't tear the quilt (!!!) If you aren't watching, the head can advance to the leveler bar and the needle will RIPPPPPP! It's never happened to me, but of course I just jinxed myself by admitting that!!! Take care and have fun!

Another Linda

Olympia Wa

You're right about that tearing thing. In my lesson with Myrna she cautioned about leaving the needle in the quilt when I advance the roller in that it might tear the quilt. I have had my needle go down when resting off the quilt as I try to advance the quilt using the foot pedal. I have wondered if it is because of some static electricity that triggers it. Strange. Any ideas?

Vicki

Good advice. I've actually torn a quilt but that was because I had the needle down advance my quilt and then went to answer the phone. Came back and forgot what I was doing and advanced the quilt without thinking and rip. Now I still use the needle down method I just don't ever leave it until I'm done. Lesson well learned. Well I've done this twice and with the help of the client and some very artistic methods it all worked out in the end.

Good luck

Tina

Archived