New Long Armer and First Customer Quilts

I have a "new to me" APQS Ultimate 1 coming home this Sunday and I already have quilting friends asking me to quilt tops for them. I consider myself pretty proficient at quilting on a domestic machine but I realize there will be a learning curve especially considering the machine I'm taking on has no stitch regulation. Certainly I want to spend some time getting to know my machine and I would never consider quilting on someone else's quilt without feeling completely confident that I could offer quality quilting, even if at first I only feel confident about stippling!

My question really is, how would you handle those first initial quilts and what might you charge? I don't want to give away my time for free but at the same time, I don't want to charge without having the skill to back it up. My quilting pals realize I'm new to long arming and I think they are realistic in their expectations of what I will be able to do as I learn my new machine...but at the same time part of why I wanted the long arm is to earn a little extra income and I cannot quilt all of my friend's tops for free - I have plenty of my own quilts to practice on!

In the kindest most delicate way how can I offer them some sort of reasonable rate that will justify my time without offending them or putting them off?

When I started out I just asked a few friend to bring me a couple of quilt top that they were going to donate to a charity and I quilted those for free to get a feel for my machine. They brought the top, batting and backing and I supplied the thread. That went well, I had a few "oh no" moments with the quilting but nothing that ruined the quilts, just learning pains. Then after a month I start taking quilts and charged the standard rates. So maybe set a time period for the freebies and approach those quilting friend that do charity quilt so that you have control of our business. I wouldn't let the word spread that your quilting for free. Maybe ask your friend to not tell anyone that you did do them for free. What you learn this first month of quilting on a longarm will be so valuable, and by doing a few for free it takes the stress off.

I started out doing free for one friend, with the stipulation that it was practice. I did four quilts for her and she was thrilled with each one. Then I did $50 for a pantograph for two months only, because I was getting huge king size quilts and decided my time was too valuable.

If you have your own quilts I'd just practice with them. I've found some friends expect you to quilt for them cheaper. If you need the money offer to do some charity quilts for $50. I don't think I'd do them for free. And set a size limit. One lady told me she was making the quilt for her son, turned around and sold it.

I agree with Tamareck, let your friends know you will do their charity quilts for free say 1 - 2 per month - depending how many friend you have and request they either pay for the thread or bring a large spool (A&E works well for charity quilts). This will get you some experience. I do 2 per month for the local guild. Especially when I have a new design I want to try. I usually choice the top to go with thread I have on hand. I suggest buying a light, medium and a dark thread to start and not the most expensive. A&E Signature has a decent thread and has large cones. Remember if in a pinch, use the serger thread (you may have that around the house), just know it puts off a lot of lent. But that is what I use on charity quilts. I purchase with Joann's coupons and when it would go on sale. Coats & Clarks also makes a good cotton for domestic and can be used on LA with thread disc.

Set your regular pricing (there are plenty websites out there you as example). Then let your freinds know you will do the 1st at a discounted price . Present the bill upon completion with the discount, now your friends know what a gift you are giving them. Do the same for all the quilts you do for a friend even the charity quilts so they know what it takes to quilt these. Our guild requires this to maintain their charitable status. If you start too low and don't present the discount they will continue to expect the lower cost and you will not be happy with yourself. (If you were not quilting your friends quilts, they would have to go to another LA and they would have to pay Reg. Price). To help bring in business, give your friends coupons to hand out and once 10 customers bring in a quilt with the friends coupon, let your friend know they have a discount on their next quilt. Also, charge for thread, this will give you the means to increase your thread options to customers.

I just did a few quilts for my best friend of 20 years, it was hard to charge. I ageed to do the the 1st quilt free and the 2nd at 50% discount. I gave her invoices for both so she would know what the cost would have been with out the discounts. She payed 50% of the free quilt quilt and 75% of the cost of the the second quilt, 75% more than I we agreed on and what I was expecting. But because she saw the cost and realized what a gift I was giving and she wanted to gift me back. What a wonderful friend!!! I still plan to give her discounts, but will always invoice the regular price. I have gotten many more quilts from this friend's recommendation. I also discount a customer's first quilt 15%. These customers have come back with more quilting. It is funny how a discount brings them back everytime.

Good Luck!!!!

I agree with Tamareck, let your friends know you will do their charity quilts for free say 1 - 2 per month - depending how many friend you have and request they either pay for the thread or bring a large spool (A&E works well for charity quilts). ......

Good Luck!!!!

What is the A & E thread you are talking about? I may be interested in that for the charity stuff I do. Sorry to sound so dumb, but I really don't have a big variety of threads that I use. Thanks!

Thank you so much, I truly appreciate the advice.

Judith I love your ideas and I think you are absolutely right on about giving her an invoice showing what it would have cost. This is totally where I was coming from with not wanting to get in this habit of quilting for free even though I'm a new long armer. While I may be new to my long arm I have been quilting for many years and put a lot of time and effort into my chosen art and I think that's worth something. I get where people see me as a newcomer compared to the other established long armers in the area and I don't want to right off the bat be associated with cheaper or lower quality work.

I can't thank you enough for your advice - this has really eased my worries a bit and I think it's a great approach.

I have a couple of Muslin bolts and some King Size (don't ask me why) extra-loft poly batting. I've been making practice quilts that are 44" x 60" or so; marking them to show where borders and blocks are and using inexpensive cotton thread to practice with. When they're done or filled up, they can be donated to the animal shelter to line the cages. The animals aren't picky about the quilting. :P

James

Archived