What batting for large wall hanging?

I picked up a large Sunshine quilt that will be used as a wall hanging at a new Autism school. It will be in the main lobby area, not in a classroom. I haven't measured it yet, but I was told it is approximately 80 X 80. This quilt is totally awesome!!! It took my customer 16 months to make it. There is a lot of needle turned applique and is just beautifully done.

She wants it fully custom/heirloom quilted and is sending me pictures of the one the designer made and quilted, so I can quilt it very close to the original.

I need to order batting for this quilt. I used Quilters Dream Blend Select weight (70/30) on the other quilt I did for her 2 years ago - a Civil War Tribute quilt - a BOM. She told me the quilt was too heavy. She wants this quilt to be lighter, and definitely NOT any puffy batting. I called QD and the woman, Neva, said she thinks a thicker batting would be better, not a thinner, lighter one. I forwarded this info to my customer and she said I should pick the batting, but to remember, nothing as heavy as the last quilt and nothing puffy.

Help! What do you suggest? It also has to lay nicely against the wall and not curl.

You could give Thermore a try. It's made for use in quilted garments and I used it in a wallhanging recently. It's thin but still has nice stitch definition. You may need to find it online for the larger size that you'll need. Research it since I think it has two thicknesses.

Also do some looking for ways to make a wallhanging lay flat. Besides blocking, of course, there are finishing techniques to keep the sides straight and flat. I think one technique involves stabilizing the unbound edges before adding the binding--using a non-woven strip of stabilizer to achieve this.

And of course, I want to add my opinion here (as usual!) :P. Something this large which will be viewed from relatively far away needs thicker batting, not thinner. Poly would be my choice and be much lighter than the 70/30 you used in the original project for this customer. There--I said it!

Thanks, Linda. I really do value your opinion.

I never heard of stabilizing the unbound edges. How cool! Maybe someone will chime in here who has done this with more info.

I will wait for a few more responses, then I will order the 100% poly. I've only used the Select weight of QD poly. Have you (or anyone else on here) used the Deluxe weight? It is thicker, but when feeling my samples, it doesn't feel "puffy" (which is not wanted), it just feels a little bit thicker. This (the Deluxe) might be my choice, unless someone jumps in to give me reason to go back to the Select weight.

I am currently working on a large art quilt. I am using QD poly select in it, and it is giving very nice definition. I bought some QD Deluxe awhile back with the intention of using it in a wall hanging, but it is just too dense feeling. I am afraid the final product, if densely quilted, would be "stiff as a board." I routinely use QD poly select for a client who does not like the crinkle when the quilt is washed, and who does not like "puffy." I also use it in wall hangings regularly. It does not retain creases, and is quite a bit less heavy than a cotton batting. I think you would be happy with QD select.

Sandra, I posted a link in the thread "Recently Completed Emroidered Baskets" that shows a quilt I did using QD select. If you have access to Facebook, you can view it and evaluate the quilting definition. I don't know how to post the link here. You'll need to search the topic. (I am so computer challenged!!)

Sandra, just a thought - is the heirloom quilting you are planning going to be fairly dense? If it is wouldn't that should flatten the batting anyway? I've been using QD Dream Puff for wall hangings. The latest WH I did for that customer is 84" x 84". You can see the quilting and despite the name it isn't puffy and is very light.

I agree with Anne, depending on the amount of quilting you put into it will depend on how "puffy" it is when it is done. Dream puff is super light and gives great definition. My favorite combination for wallhangings is dream poly select with a half layer of wool on top for definition. You have to take your time teasing the wool batting apart but it can be done. The dream poly is more dense but it allows the wallhanging to hang nicely.

Thanks for the feedback, ladies! Lynn, your basket quilt is gorgeous!

I am now convinced that QD 100% poly SELECT is what I will order.

I did 2 wall hangings in the fall for our Guild's show. Both were about the size of a baby quilt. One I used QD Puff and the other I used QD Poly Select and a layer of wool. The one with the Puff was light as a feather and the definition was fabulous, but it did not hang so nicely. The other one with the 2 batts was very heavily quilted and it hung nice and straight with no ripples. It was very dense, almost stiff, but that was fine for my wall hanging. I would use that combination again....for my wall hangings. But, this customer does not like anything puffy and does not like the nice definition that most of us do like.

I just got another thought. I am going to try to contact the lady who designed the pattern and made the original quilt, and ask what she used for the batting. My customer loved her quilt and the way it was quilted ( and customer went to see the quilt again and took some pictures of it that she is mailing to me so I can quilt hers the same way). If I can find out what was in the original, I will be able to use that, too, but if not, I will use the QD poly Select.

What is strange to me is why she is so concerned about the weight of the wall hanging. It is going on a huge wall in the main entry way/reception area in a new Autism school. The weight shouldn't matter.

I had the same experience with Dream Puff...the quilt didn't hang as nicely as the customer would have liked. It was a bed quilt, but she put it in the guild show and would have liked it to hang better.

Yes, people get things in their head, and you can't change their minds with logic! I think you will be happy with the QD select. And, NOW she wants it quilted "exactly" like the one she saw to boot!!

I'll be looking forward to seeing it when its done.

My brilliant friend quilts her own quilts on her DSM. When she makes a quilt destined to be hung, she inserts the hanging sleeve into the top binding as many of us do.

Then at the opposite end she doesn't sew the binding closed in the corners. She inserts a small dowel or thin metal rod that she has cut to size at the home improvement store and will be placed just inside the binding so none of it shows. This added weight and straight dowel make her wallhangings flat as a pancake! ;)

Archived