Question about thread color

Hi! I am working on a quilt that is mine! yea!! BUT! I am working on it this morning. got the CH blocks done and did the block that has a stencil motif in it. Ok... I am happy with the CH looks, but I am going to be taking out the Stencil to do over. Doesn't look smooth and I think the thread is too dark for the "goining back over" the humps on the feathers. OK>>>> this is my ? Is it ok to have my CH and sampler blocks done in the slightly darker thread and use a lighter thread for the stencil motif? I am frogging the Sencil part no matter what ...yuck! that is going to take awhile~~ I'm going to try to attach pictures.

There are no quilt police. You can use as many different colors as will look good on the quilt. Different quilts have there own requirements. Remember to unspool a puddle of thread on the quilt to choose your colors as thread doesn't look the same off the spool as it does all coiled up.

Shirley

I haven't taken it out yet! I am continuing quilting right now... as I look at it, I guess it doesn't look so bad. Kristina, you are probably right... We'll see when I get to the next stencil area. If I don't like that one too, They'll both be frogged!! :) thanks, ladies!

As a general rule of thumb, I always use thread that matches the background when doing the bump-back feathers. If you use a thread that shows, all your backtracking has to be right-on. While I don't think it looks bad, I think it would look better with a thread that matches the background. I usually go with my gut. If my first thought is "yuk"...I may just as well take it out and do it over. I'll wake up in the middle of the night fussing over it, and I will never feel "right" about the project. It takes me less time to frog and re-do than it does to worry about it not looking right for years to come. (Yes, I'm neurotic!)

Archived