Turning my first quilt -- SUCCESS!-- a Big Thank You!

Hi Everyone.  I wanted to thank you all for the help on turning my first quilt.  It was indeed out of square.  I got it off the frame, trimmed it parallel to the quilt top edges and got it back on the frame.  It took me forever to do that, but it is finished. I'm mostly happy with it.  I'm cutting myself slack because I'm new and it is my first custom quilt.  It is a gift for my friend and I think she will like it, LOL mistakes and all.   I will post pictures as soon as I finish the binding and wash it. I can't tell you how much I learned from this quilt.  whew.  Good thing I don't quilt for others because I'm so slow I'd be paying them to quilt their quilts hahaha.  Thanks again!  Melissa 

i turned a quilt once.   never again.. well done.

Thanks!  LOL, I thought the same thing at the time.  Buuuttt...... I'll probably do it again.  Right now I"m trying to decide what to put on the frame... simple panto or another turned custom. I'm kinda leaning toward the turned custom just to get back on the horse so to speak.

Things I will do next time:

1.  Decide what to quilt before loading.

2.  Definitely mark it before I put it on the frame. (although, Linda Taylor's method of lining up a motif in the block and quilting it from the panto side rocks!)

3.  Pin the snot outa all blocks/border sections that are not quilted yet, but just ditched.

4.  Square it up before I put it back on the frame.  (LOL, I thought my days of crawling around on the floor over a quilt were over with the longarm  :blink: .)

5.  Bury the threads as I go. I didn't want to stop quilting to do it at the time (too excited) and thought, I'll do it later.  Sigh, now it's later.  :(

Archived