Railroad Tracks

sewmuchjoy

I'm hoping someone out there can give me some advice on a problem I have off and on for no apparent reason. My tension appears right top and bottom 80% of the time be when I move the machine to the left, I get railroad tracks on the back of the quilt. I have loosened the bottom tension, tighted the top tension and everything in between but it does not seem to help. It's not on every quilt but about half of them. I have an Ultimate 2. Please help, it is so frustrating.

Thanks

Sewmuchjoy,

There is alot of good discussion about problems with tension. I too deal with it every day. Look at the various threads on tension problems under APQS helps. I will tell you what has worked for me.

1. Thread makes a big difference. I never have problems with Superior's So Fine. When using other types of thread I have to be real careful at the beginning of each bobbin (they are all different) but after checking and adjusting things seems to go well.

2. On my machine, I have to throw out accepted conventions on bobbin tension. Unless my bobbin falls pretty freely, I have problems. I set the bobbin very loose and then adjust the upper tension (generally pretty tight).

3. If I can see the "bald guy" as referred to on this site, I know things are ok. From the top, if you see the bobbin thread in the stitch, you bottom stitch will look good. The stitch will ease down after you take the quilt off the machine. Check especially in stitches in the direction you problems.

4. You can also check the timing, and for nicks in the thread guides, hopping foot height, etc.

I never had problems with my Ult 1 but I have problems with my Millie. So I am sure there is some kind of ultimate fix. I just haven't figured out what it is.

Good luck,

Donna

Oh, and since it isn't a problem on every quilt, it might just be a function of the batting. I think that ultimately, the batting causes the needle to reflect in one direction. If you can isolate the problems to specific types of batting, your in good shape. don't use that type or know you are going to have to be extra diligent.

Donna

I think railroad tracks are generally an indication that the top tension isn't tight enough.

What top thread are you using? If you're switching between thread types/weights, you should test your tension with every thread change. I can get close by pulling my thread through the needle but the best thing to do is practice in the little area where the binding will be or pin a piece of simliar fabric in an edge that will be cut away.

I tighten my top tension so tight that it pulls on top and then I back down ever so slightly til I am no longer getting pulling.

Be sure your needle is perfectly straight. If you aren't getting it every quilt, then I doubt it is a needle or hopping foot problem.

Be sure you don't have to much tension on the top or backing. This is difficult with some quilts because in order to make some of the borders or sashing or blocks lie flat, I almost have to have too much tension in other areas.

But, on issues like that, I've come to the conclusion that I have to do what I have to do to make the quilting look good. If the top has issues with lying flat and I do everything in my power to get it flat but cause my stitches to be weird, when someone sees that quilt, they're going to think "too bad the quilter ruined this gorgeous top with bad stitches!"

So, for me, at this stage in the game, if I get a top that is poorly constructed or is going to cause headaches for me, it goes back.

Anyway . . I surely can get off topic . . I sometimes had problems with my Ult. I with either railroad tracks or the bobbin thread lying flat (worse in some directions). I don't remember what fixed it but it was tension adjustments (either top or bottom thread or quilt sandwich) that fixed it. I didn't have to make any major or mechanical changes to the machine.

I am very happy to say that the Millie loves me a lot and has never given me any tension problems.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, occasionally have this problem--just a few inches here and there, on the same quilt. I'm thinking it may have to do with the fact that I may still (I'm still new at this) sometimes jerk, or speed up too fast, or go around a curve too quickly. It doesn't seem to be associated with going one direction or the other. I concentrate on staying smooth and even in my movements, but sometimes I just lose my head (or control, as the case may be!).

Hey I am fairly new to this as well and have had lots of problems with my tension. On one quilt it works great and sometimes half way in the middle I would have trouble but not all the time so i started messing with the tension on my bobbin and it was when I was winding to loose or to tight that helped me alot. I really watch that all the time very closely now. I hear that this is usually one of the most frustrating things that can happen to new quilters. I wish I could get passed this one all the time. hehe

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I hope this isn't too "duh", but w/red face, I admit that when I was a "newbie" I had the bobbin in the wrong way! I had bought a used machine - no lessons, no NUTHIN!!, just struck out on my own. Oddly enough, it worked enough that I had no idea . . . kept me fooled for a while. It finally "clicked" that going "left" in any movement, was when the tension was the worst.

Check to make sure the the bobbin is in the case such that the direction the thread unwinds is clockwise. Now, I always wind my bobbins so that the "holes" are in the direction such that I automatically put the holey side against the back of the case, and the solid side facing out, towards me. A most simple and elementary thing, but . . .hey! . . . if it doesn't help you, maybe someone else needs this tidbit. SLO Nolting 24

• 8 months later...

Newbie here...with a couple of questions...

what are 'railroad tracks?'

and, I had one bobbin's worth of wonky stitches on the back of a quilt, the top thread pulled wayyy to the back, the bobbin thread was completely taut.

of course, didn't realize that until I rolled that place up to the roller and thought, gee, that looks strange on the back! I ended up having to unsew that whole area, then re-stich it.

It didn't do it at all on any of the previous or on the subsequent bobbins, just that one area. Any ideas what may have caused it?

thanks,

Sammi

Archived