Question about the new top Tension Gauge

Hi Dell,

I got it when it first came out.

I used it for picky threads like king tut and it did work.

It's the only way I've ever run king tut successfully.

It is hard to use.

You have to stand behind the machine and pull the thread.

It takes a few tries to get the hang of it.

The bobbin tension settings they use are so tight compared to my usual setting that I have a separate bobbin case.

Now I still have it but never use it.

I guess I'm hanging on to it for a last resort solution if I run into a problem.

I was interested and sat through the video to see what it's all about. You install a sensor pad within the various parts of your tension assembly and it electronically measures the "squeeze" of the disks. More squeeze, tighter tension. Less, looser tension. They recommend making a chart for all thread combos you might use after you have determined the perfect stitch by adjusting and doing stitch-outs with your chosen combinations. You find the numbers by (educated) trial and error and then write down the perfect numbers from both the Towa and top tension gauges for each thread combo.Then you refer back to your chart and use the two gauges to dial in your predetermined gauge numbers.

This would be a great help for newbies. One drawback is you have to dis-assemble your tensioner to add the sensor. And then you have to test out your thread combos. But once you've done the homework you're set.

I use the Towa gauge religiously. I test my top thread by feel and an off-quilt stitch test to double check. If I was just starting out this gauge would be very appealing.

Archived