black flannel source?

I don't really have a source where to purchase black flannel.... you might want to try Thousandbolts.com  I know that they carry lots of different flannels.  I would think it would be hard to purchase online as I would want to see the tone of black and feel the weight.  Flannels are not all the same and you can get some bad ones if you are not careful.

I know a local quiltshop where I am has a lot of the Moda and Maywood flannels....I have used both and like them....flannel is really getting pricey.  I used a lot of moda flannels in a rag quilt....and the moda flannels did not fray well for that as they have a tighter weave....but I really like them for regular quilts.   Lin

If and when you find it your applique will be stunning on it.  However, get ready for lint.  I think link was made just for black flannel.  That's why we used it "way back when" in school to build those show boards - cause everything stuck to it!  Let us know when you find it.  Oh, school supply stores carried it way back when.

Since flannel is stretchier and usually a looser weave than regular cotton fabric, make up a sample before you commit yourself to using it for wool applique. It may not have enough body to use as a base for wool applique. As Sylvia mentioned, it's a lint magnet and even the cast-off wool fibers from the applique will stick to it like crazy. Any reason why you decided on flannel rather than a rich cotton or wool felt? The densest flannel I've seen is Moda.

Thanks Lin, Leslie, Sylvia, & Linda for the info.  Linda, i had read an article about using black flannel instead of black wool because the wool is so pricey & probably too warm here in Texas, but me thinks i'll rethink this.  maybe i'll just try a small wool project to begin with & a small flannel project.  never thought about the lint problem.

SewBatik has the best Black flannel as well as other colors.  You will never want any other kind.  It comes in wide backing as well.  It is a bit heavier and does not fray as much.  www.SewBatik.com.  Used Associate code 1040 if you would.  Thanks  Be sure to check it out. 

Archived