Loading a sheet backing

Hi...

I've received 2 quilts with a sheet for the backing to do for a friend.

Can I pin it to the leaders by the hemmed section?

There's very little extra room on the sides and I'm afraid if I remove the hemmed area, it won't fit.

I always load using Linda's no marking technique and thought if I was real careful, I could do it.

Is there anything I should know...or is there anything wacky that can happen?

She's experienced in quilting and I assumed she knew I needed extra around the edges.

I'll make sure she knows from now on, but for now, I'd like to do these for her.

I add muslin strips to the sides if I don't have a lot of extra fabric.  I re-use the stips several times, so it isn't a total waste of money...and I charge for adding the strip.   It works well, so long as you have at least 3 inches extra backing fabric all directions to start with.  It just gives enough to attach clamps and have them out of the way.  Lengthwise, though, you may still run out of backing, depending on how puffy you batting is.   I would want to remove the hems and start with as flat a piece as possible.  The time spent removing them is less time than it takes to remove quilting because you have a pleat somewhere.  I'd also wash and use fabric softener on the sheet. It might help prevent damage from the needle which can happen if the sheet is tightly woven.  You have to load the quilt very carefully, and make sure you are keeping it straight with the backing as you roll.  Less than 3 inches beyond the size of the top, and I wouldn't attempt it.

I have had people bring me the backing which is exactly the same size as front and when I tell them it won't work they act like I am stupid.  I just won't take it if the backing isn't at least 3 inches bigger on all sides.  I can't make that backing grow when it is on the machine.  I too would remove the hems just to make sure it is big enough.

I have started the rip method of removing salvages. I just make a small snip close to the salvage and pull. Yes you do get some very long threads raveling off but just pull out a few rows and it stops. This is fast and I know for sure that the edge is very straight! When I use a rotary cutter sometimes I felt I wobbled a bit. I like fast and very straight.

I save all those salvages and use them to tie and bundle things because they are very strong.

I have started the rip method of removing salvages. I just make a small snip close to the salvage and pull. Yes you do get some very long threads raveling off but just pull out a few rows and it stops. This is fast and I know for sure that the edge is very straight! When I use a rotary cutter sometimes I felt I wobbled a bit. I like fast and very straight.

I save all those salvages and use them to tie and bundle things because they are very strong.[/

In this case, my issue was that the sheet was too small.

I couldn't tear any fabric off, cause I needed every inch I could eek out of that bloody thing.

Once I ripped out the hems, it was just enough.

Phew!

I also tear backers to square them up if there is enough extra.

I roll quilts up when they are done and waiting for my friends to come get them.

I usually use a strip of the extra backing to tie it up with.

Works well and looks cute, too.

Archived