AccuQuilt Studio cutter- Plexiglass cover replacement?

I bought an AccuQuilt Studio Cutter to help with the mountains of binding I've been doing lately and I'm surprised at how cut up the plexiglass cover is getting that goes on top of the die. It looks like a basic piece of plexiglass so it seems like I could buy it from the hardware store instead of ordering a new one from AccuQuilt. Has anyone done that and, if so, what type of plexiglass do you look for?

Keep using it until it doesn't cut anymore or breaks.  I also flip my around.  I usually buy extra when they are having a sale and have it shipped with a die I've ordered.  Mine seem to last a long time.  I don't know if it is the same plexiglass you can buy at the store or not.  I suppose you could take it in and see if you can find the right thickness and pliability.  Definitely check out the price difference.  Let us know what you find.   

I am working on sourcing new cutting plastics for the Studio, however... I still have the original cutting plastics from when I bought my machine in '08 or '09.  Sure, I have extra cutting plastics, but here are some things you can do to extend the life of all your plastics:

1. Cutting plastics can still cut well, even when you can't see through them anymore. Some of my cutting plastics are so cloudy that it makes me wonder how they can still cut. :)
  2. A cutting plastic that is worn out from cutting squares, is still good for cutting circles, then hexies, then applique, then... you get the point.  Rotating your cutting plastics across different dies will give you more mileage.
  3. Flip, shift, rotate, swap.  That's the process I use - flip them over, use both sides. Shift them slightly back, forth, side to side, so you're not cutting the same spot all the time. Rotate them 180-degrees, so you cut in areas that haven't been touched before. Swap plastics between dies so you're cutting different shapes and wearing the plastics more evenly.
  4. If you're cutting with smaller dies, try railroading them in the tray and laying a larger plastic over them to cut them all at once.  Again, it's about cutting the plastics in places that they haven't been cut before.
  5. Remember to angle your dies slightly (if they aren't already angled on the board) so you aren't damaging the blade and plastic by cutting a long section all at once.

I hope this helps!

Archived