HELP Please! Bobbin thread breaking

Can someone help me with a problem?  My bobbin thread keeps breaking and it's getting more and more frequent as I am trying to finish this quilt.  I started out with one break per row of panto, now up to a break every 2 minutes of stitching.  I have loosened both top and bottom tenisions, changed my bobbin case, changed my needle, slowed WAY down but nothing is helping. I am using Magna glide bobbin from Fil Tek (which I have used before without any problem).  I cannot feel any burrs.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Nancy

No broken needles -can't feel any burrs. I saw a previous post of a gal with the same problem. I re did the WD40 and oiling process. Really used a lot of WD40 and actually made it through the remainder of the row without a break. Will stop for the night while I'm ahead. Yes they are pre wounds. I'm thinking that may have something to do with my problem. I've been around the block more than a couple of times and know sometimes Jupiter and Mars are not aligned just right. :) Thanks for all your input. You all are a great resource. Hopefully I'll get this done tomorrow and the next job will be no problem.

use Sewers Aid to lube your thread, and I use it on the thread guides, not the tension disk.

Now and then I use spray silicone on top, which helps the breaking..

Turn the flywheel to see if there's a thread in it.  We missed one and had miserable

stitching and broken threads until we learned to turn the fly wheel .

I also use the Sewers Aid on the bobbins, prewound or not.. that might help.

Several here, and a lot of pro's use mineral oil to dunk their cones or spool in, they

dry it off by wrapping an old hand towel, etc and squeeze the extra out.  It can also be

left sitting on a rag to let any excess out. while you do a small job or two.

It could be a bad batch of needles, too.

Good luck 

Thanks for the advice Rita. What kind of spray silicone do you use and where do you apply it? On the fabric itself? I've read others use it, I only use sewers aid on the guides and sometimes on the cones. Since I don't use metallics, it usually doesn't solve a problem for me. I'll check the flywheel too - and change the needle again

Got the answer to my problem. Just want to share with anyone who doesn't know that the magna glide bobbins from Fil Tek have a magnet in them to prevent backlash. You are supposed to remove the spring check? From the bobbin case before using them. ( the blue finger thing inside). It is written on the box if you buy a half gross. I bought the jar of 20. Not written on that....Amy Stuart enlightened me. No wonder my bobbin thread kept breaking!

OK...you said you use a pin under the bobbin case finger...  Now try a different bobbin case.  Using a pin under the finger can scratch or gouge the metal which could cause your thread to break.  I always use the corner of a business card when cleaning out under the finger of the bobbin case.  I collect business cards from places I don't ever care to contact but they come in handy in my studio B)   You may also want to try popping out the tension spring in the bobbin case and clean behind it (if you haven't already).  Also check and see if there is any thread wound around the post the bobbin case snaps on to...it is not always easy to see but if thread is wrapped there it can prevent the bobbin case for seating itself all the way onto the post.  Good luck!

Archived