Spa Treatment

I have seen people mention their machines getting a "spa treatment."  Can someone please enlighten me of what is included in a spa treatment?  I have never sent my machine down to APQS for any type of service, and I am not looking forward to the day I have to as I just don't have the time to take my machine apart, get it ready for shipping and then be without the machine for any length of time.  Does the "spa treatment" include everything that is done at the factory for service?  And if so, is there anyone qualified to do the spa treatment on a machine in Lakeville, MN (near Minneapolis)?

Thank you.

Mitzi

I'm not a rep but the last in-home spa treatment I had (Thanks Barb M) included checking everything except the electronics. 

Timing checked and adjusted with replacement of assembly if needed/wanted.

Wheels checked and table checked for level.

I had my tension assembly replaced.

Brushes in motors (machine and fabric advance) checked. Dust blown out.

Checked and replaced any needed guides.

I also now keep on hand extra pigtail guides, a couple of bobbin cases and a bobbin assembly, extra machine screws and needle bar screw, and brushes.

A lot of the maintenance I can do myself, but another set of eyes/brains is great to make you confident that your machine is in tip-top condition.

There are ladies here on the forum who have taken the maintenance class and do their own spa treatments.  I haven't taken the class yet, but with the wonderful help from Dawn, with directions and pdf files to print out, I've been able to do my own maintenance as well.  Like Linda I've replaced my bobbin assembly, re-timed, motor brushes, new power cord, thread guides, etc., which I ordered from APQS and had sent to me.  I also read and/or print directions for other maintenance issues that Dawn puts on the forum for someone who has asked for help. This helps me understand my machine better and also helps me for reference if/when I do need it.  So far, so good, but I probably should be knocking on some wood while telling you I've so far managed. :)

Mitzi:  The short answer is that you can do almost anything yourself that would be included in a "spa" treatment.  For instance, I just recently replaced the needle bar bushing on my Ult2, the instructions APQS provided showed me everything I need to know..  You just need to have the confidence to take the repair on, and to routinely maintain your machine.  APQS has great instructions for all the repairs I've had to make.  They will provide the support and sell you the parts you need.  The forum is also a great support instrument as well. (one of the members also sent me a sent of instructions)

It's really worth the effort to become your own repairman (woman).  It empowers you to take charge of your machine.  Saves you loads of time, and makes the quilting experience fuller.  The place to begin is with timing.  Everyone who owns a longarm should know how to time it.  You can get help diagnosing a problem here, or from the factory, and tips on how to deal with the problem.  Educate yourself and become independent.  Regards.  Jim

Oh boy, sounds like I should tackle this - and I do believe it will help me feel confident about taking care of my own machine.  Okay - I have blocked out most of August thinking I was going to send my machine down to Carroll.  I think I will save the money and try this myself.  It has been a few years when I took a basic maintenance class at a quilt show, and Amy made it sound so easy.  I guess I thought there was more work done when it was sent down to Carroll, such as repacking the machine.  Thanks for your replies and suggestions. 

Good for you, Mitzi!

Remember that if your machine is running the way you like it, there isn't much wrong with it.

As for a checklist--

Does the head run smoothly on the rails? (Deep clean rails, dust all legs, the panto plastic, all the outside of the machine, and the wheels.) If it doesn't glide as smoothly as you like, check the table for square and level.

Do you need to replace the leaders--are they warped or dirty?

If your timing is good, leave it alone!

If your tensioner spring is tired, it can be easily replaced.

Take off the left side (facing the machine) and wipe out any old oil that will pool inside if it's been over-oiled. Experience talking--put those machine screws in your magnetic pin holder so you don't misplace one.

Check the motor brushes (look in the manual) and cover the motor area to use a compressor to blow out the carbon.

Do a deep clean of the bobbin assembly with a WD-40 bath followed by a wipe-out and a good oiling.

Just like a day at the spa!

Put in a new needle and load a scrap to stitch around and see if everything is purring and that any extra oil lurking around is expelled.

Make a list of replacement parts to have on hand for that breakdown that inevitably will happen late at night on a long weekend with a deadline quilt on the frame! :D

Archived