Need to make a decision fast

Hello I have posted before about selling my gammill and purchasing a Milli now I have a very interested buyer but I offcourse will take a loss on my machine with that aside I am now a bit leary...I have very mixted thoughts about this now and am wondering if I am making the right decsion to do this...I keep saying to myself it is the talent of the person standing behind the machine and not the machine that makes the quilter although I know this is true to a point. The Milli is going to cost me much more and who is to say I won't have problems with this machine now that I have had my gammill a year I have worked out all the kinks and feel comfortable sewing with my gammill but I am thinking the long run will this machine always be a good fit??? I just don't know what to do at this point....Please help!!!! Jackie

Jackie,

Of course there will be a "getting to know you" time with your new Millie, and when you read the posts of the ones that have just set them up and started to PPP they always have problems. Ususally it is operator error, not always, but usually. You already know how to use a longarm, so you know about tension, etc. I can tell you to make the switch, but if you have the business (if you are in business), then I would do it - but that's just me. Good luck with your decision, you need to be the one to make it, not someone else.

Mary Beth

Wow I have been reading some of the post on APQS service (some of you sound very frustraed with it ) and I think that has made my decision for me, I can say I have had no problems with service someone has always taken care of any issue I have had with gammill right at the time of my call or shortly after...thanks

Guest Linda S

Jackie - I've never had any issues with APQS Service. Actually, Mark called me from the airport once on a Sunday to help with a problem. You can't beat that. Also, they say a craftsman is only as good as his tools. I think this also applies to quilters and their machines. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Linda

Jackie:

I find you comments interesting. With thousands of clients and a rapidly growing company sometimes communication problems exist, most challenges are due to communication problems. I have heard many stories of service problems with Gammills.

You will notice several notable differences with an APQS machine, lightweight, belt timing (machine will stay in time), low vibration, high speed ?L? bobbin, you can leave it on your quilt overnight (no oil leaking); tables that do not sag, and made in America are among some of the differences.

There are different machines and like cars people have their own priorities with what works for them.

Just for thought,

John

Jackie,

I was one of the ones that said recent service had been a problem. I really believe this is a temporary. They have had a lot of changes recently and that will always cause problems for a while.

Over all I have been very please with their service. They also give you a wonderful machine maintenance video. It goes through things step by step.

I was going through a very frustrating time. But I found the machine wasn't the problem after all. I have a heating vent over my machine that was wide open. It was drying out my thread and causing breakage.

These machines are very dependable and easily maintained. The only thing that I don't do on my machine is the timing. DH does that for me. He gets really in to it when I ask him to look at it. I think if I would let him he would take it completely apart and then put it back together again.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Jackie,

I might add, that I have never had a problem with service from APQS. They have always been right there when I called, or they called me back right away. Like Linda said, I have had them call me back after they get home from work while they should be fixing dinner or spending time with their families.

John made some very good points. American made was a huge selling point for me. APQS makes a very, very good machine.

You will hear war stories from all companies, I have heard and read stories about customer services from Gammill too. I am not trying to talk you into anything. You will need to make this decision for yourself...

Hi Jackie,

I remember when you were asking questions before you purchased your machine. I (along with others) tried to steer you toward APQS. I too have had no problems with service and the machines are easy to maintain/repair if necessary.

That being said.... I am going to differ in my opinion. You mentioned "it is the talent of the person standing behind the machine" that makes the quilter. I agree. If you have tamed your beast and gotten comfortable with it and are not having technical issues, than why change brands? I love my millie and APQS and highly recommend them to anyone thinking of purchasing, but in my mind, if you are "happy" and "comfortable" with what you have, why change? Just my opinion.

I have used a gammil in the past and do truly feel that the APQS machines have a better stitch quality and there are many other things I prefer on my Millie over the gammill. But.... there are some very talented quilters out there using Gammills and winning awards.

Your heart will tell you what is best for you. Good luck in your decision making.

Patty

Hi Jackie. I agree with Patty. If you are comfy now with what you have, why change? If you were really having lots of problems with your machine, I could see changing, but if you have bonded, why change just because you think this machine or that machine might be a little more perfect? How perfect does a machine have to be? And who's to say it will be more perfect? And how much money is it worth to you to pursue it? It IS the talent of the person holding the handles more than the machine that will make a great quilt!

Thanks to all who have responded I think I may have touched a nerve with some and I am sorry for that...this after all is the APQS site ,who am I to be asking advice on such an individual personal decision. I have always valued the opion of many of you on this site the talent here is unbelieveable.....I learn so much with each visit it does not matter what machine you have for the most part it all applies. Thanks for always welcoming me...I promise not to post any machine advice topics again....Great day to all!!! Jackie

Jackie,

I don't think we mean to sound snippy, we are just happy with our machines, and since we love our machines we are kind of proud of our product. It is wonderful that APQS provides this site - free of charge - for us to come in and share, vent, and even compare. We have made a lot of new friends with a lot of different kinds of machines, longarm, shortarm and domestic. Personally, I need to lighten up when someone with anything other than an APQS responds in a positive way. We want to think that all their machines stink and ours are the greatest. However, there are a lot of Gammill users out there (and others), and they are quite happy. Sorry if I came across too strong.

Mary Beth

Jakrnsewing,

I love my APQS Ultimate I. Like you, it has taken me about a year to get comfortable with my machine. I am afraid that if somebody offered me a Millie, I would have to think hard about taking it. I worked so hard to get where I am, I don't know that I would like to repeat that 'learning curve'. I can tell you, though, that I would not have to think very hard about taking a freebie Gammill; they are just too heavy for me.

I know that there is some wisdom to giving credit to the talent of the driver of the machine, too. But, to my thinking, part of that talent comes from experience with THAT machine.

I wish you good luck with your decision and I am so glad that I don't have to make that decision.:o

Jackie...

I'm sure no one minded at all your questions. I hope you break your promise and feel free to voice your concerns. I think this is a great place to ask advice...the only problem is that most of us may seem a little(?) biased because we love what we do and most days we love our machines:D

Jackie:

You should feel free to post on this site anything that is on your mind about quilting.

To my knowledge this is the only Longarm company that sponsers a chat site. I wonder why the other companies don't do the same? I thnk Stadler has a site but you have to own one to use the site.

Everyone is welcome here.

John

Archived