What to do in these borders?

How would you handle these borders - particularly the outer border.  I've quilted several of these hand-pieced Jinny Beyer quilts for this customer.  She prefers the quilting to disappear into the piecing as much as possible.  It was easier in the earlier quilts as the border fabric lent itself more easily to quilting but nothing is speaking to me on this fabric.

All suggestions gratefully received - if anyone can show me ideas drawn on the border I'd be even more grateful!

post-1527-0-31792800-1371057766_thumb.jpg

Here is the quilt - it is about 50" x 50"

Here's a close up of the outer border fabric  and one showing what I've done so far from the back.

post-1527-0-35786600-1371057864_thumb.jpg

post-1527-0-49650300-1371057877_thumb.jpg

I would follow the design in the fabric for that outer border. Stitch the lines in the fabric until you feel the density matches what you've stitched on the rest of the quilt. The neutral area closest to the seam could be echoed using the lines in the print--or straight lines could be stitched from the seam to the print and back. That would fill the space and look great in matching thread.

Great top--very pretty!

I was also thinking like Linda and Lynn on outlining the border print, but I would not have known when to quit without Linda's suggestion to use the density of the inside to figure that out. And lines in the neutral area did not occur to me, but I really like the idea!

I really like the quilt. I have a friend who has made a lot of the Ginny Beyer border print quilts and I have always though I would make one, but I guess it is too far down on a very long list....

Archived