Questions about using double batting

Making quilt for a friend of my DD.   Always use a polyester for DD as she is the washing machine queen.  This lady wants wool,. but it doesn't (at least in my eyes) have the definition of the polyester.  It is a large quilt,  116" x 112".  (And she wants definition.)

Has anyone used a silk batting with the wool?  I have a silk batting I could use with the wool.  Would this make the quilt too heavy?     Lady is fine with cost; but I really can't advise as I don't have any experience using two battings on this size of quilt.    Have used wool several times on large quilts and I am happy with results.  However, it does not give the definition when quilted as the polyester.

Help!!!      Will listen to any and all advice.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

What type of wool are you using?  I use Dream Wool or Hobbs Tuscany Wool when I want definition. Dream Wool and Dream Puff quilt about the same.  I have also been know to double batt with 2 layers of wool.  I don't think you will run into any quilting issues with a wool and silk, but I would want to make sure the washing instructions are the same and that they shrinkage % is really close on the 2 batts if she is planning on using and washing the quilt.  

Angela, 

Am using Hobbs Tuscany Wool.  Washing instructions are the same on both packages (wool and silk).   However, it says the silk will shrink comparable to cotton if put in the dryer.     

Never thought of using two wool batts.  Thanks for that suggestion.  Will take a little road trip to pick up another wool batt.

Did it make quilt very heavy to handle when you used two wool batts?

My DD says I overthink problems.  Her reply would be:  "Just go for it."  I am a little more cautious than she and surely appreciate your feedback. 

Have found the Polyester batt King-size quilts I have quilted seem to be heavier to handle than the wool batt quilts.  But then my memory is sometimes faulty. 

thanks,

Marilyn

Archived