That ribbon-winning thing

I was talking to a good customer tonight to congratulate her on her awards at the County Fair. One of her entries (a hand-embroidered Calendula Patterdrips Cottage) won two Viewers Choice, a blue, an Outstanding Workmanship, and a Judges ribbon. She told me she also won Grand Champion, which is the highest award for all the handworks category ( a whole building full of garments, quilts, embroideries, needlework, felting, baskets, you get the picture.)

Here's the interesting part--she knows that our County Fair struggles every year. Just a small drop in attendance puts them in the red. Lots of volunteers keep it going. She won prizes from a local fabric shop and also cash. Plus thirteen ribbons on four quilts. She gave the cash and the ribbons back to the fair, to be used next year. How generous is that? She has pictures of the quilts with ribbons pinned on and said she'll add labels describing her wins to all her quilts that won awards. I love her perspective--she knows she won and that's all that seems to matter.  :)

She also told me one of the judges called her after the fair to let her know that there was quite a discussion between the judges, who were going to disqualify her quilt for being in the wrong category. One judge was sure the embroidery had been done by machine (computerized). It was all hand-stitched. It took a magnifying glass and the assurances of a woman scribing in the judging room who knew the quilt was hand-stitched before they decided the quilt was in the correct category. Funny.

Archived