Can I use this on the back of the quilt?

My friend is making a t shirt quilt and the boy wants something soft on the back.  She wants to know if she can use washable satin.  It's 59 inches wide.  She said they use it for dresses.  It's a medium gray.  Should it be prewashed.

I would look for something else for a backing because of the way satin fabric is constructed.  To  make the "shine" one of the fabric yarns skips over 3 or 4 of the yarns going in the other direction.  These long "stitches" snag very easily and my guess is that a t-shirt quilt for a boy would get some heavy use.  Perhaps he might like a fleece of some sort to give softness without being quite so fragile.  good Luck!

Buttonflower

Washable satins should not need to be pre-washed. Some still lose their body (sizing) and still show some wrinkles. Satin backings also do not stay put when in use; they slide all over the place. Satin also leaves "tracks" if you need to do any frogging. Good luck with what you decide to do.

Beth and Linda:

You guys crack me up!!  I have two teenage boys and I don't think they have ever made a bed.  Linda...their flannel and corduroy quilts don't even stay on the bed.  Everything ends up on the floor.  (even the pillows??)  Their mother refuses to clean their rooms.  I know, I'm a mean/lazy mother...

Archived