In Case You Wondered - It Does Get Better! :)

Here it is well into August, and I was flipping through the  forums looking for some pictures from some of my favorite APQS quilters and I found this thread I started way back in January:

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/31464-please-tell-me-it-gets-better/

I had only had my long arm for a few days and I was in a panic!  My circles were square and my feathers wobbled and I just KNEW my machine needed timed but I didn't want to even think about it!

It has been just under seven months since then.  WOW have things improved!  Here is my latest quilt:

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/33356-if-youre-not-tired-of-it-yet-my-featherlicious-quilt-is-done/

I cannot believe how much has changed in just half of a year!  I timed my machine.  I have been working hard and practicing just about every day - not without fear or hesitation - but with perserverance.  I'm so proud of how far I've come.  I started my little quilting business two months after bringing my machine home and now I'm getting regular quilts in.  I am just so happy and I cannot wait to see how much improvement will come in the future!

I'm going on and on - but my point is - for those out there just beginning, just bringing your long arm home, thinking your square circles will never become beautiful feathers - THEY WILL!  The people on this forum have been my inspiration and my cheerleaders - I can't thank you all enough!!

I wasn't sure at first that it ever would - but it most certainly DOES get better!  :)

Thank you for posting this! I just purchased a 1996 Ult I a few weeks ago and started quilting on a donation quilt. Squares all over! Do any of you have "play" in your machine rocking - is it normal for a tiny bit of play? I have tightened the wheels as tight as possible but I notice that they rock slightly off the carriage.

My machine doesn't rock but I did have a wheel fly off of the back of the machine once while I was sewing!  Scared me to death!  I know that there are washers back there on the wheels that keep them all in the right place, wonder if you are missing a washer or two?  There are sometimes a few washers rather than just one (which is what I would automatically have thought).  Hope you figure this one out, that would scare me!

Your circles will definitely get better.  I panicked SO badly when I first brought my machine home.  I am a stay at home Mom, and even buying used, this was a HUGE investment for our family.  I really felt obligated to figure out how to use the thing and make some money!

Archived