just a story

I was just looking through photos and found this one that I wanted to post long time ago, but we didn't have the new forum and I couldn't get my pics to post. These blocks were started by my friends great grandmother, and then her grandmother finished them, the ladies dresses are out of flour sacks and the background is feed sack. My friend, Susan, had asked several people to put them together into a quilt and when she would tell them what they were, she had not been able to get anyone to finish it. She came to Carlsbad from Houston on vacation and I had told her to bring them with her and I would "look" at them, they were in very good shape, a little dirty, but otherwise the fabric was still good. I couldn't understand why no one would tackle the project, she said no one had actually asked to see them, so we are thinking maybe they thought they would be in bad shape. I took the challenge. I bordered the blocks, added sashing and borders, and just did a simple meander as I didn't want to distract from the "ladies". Some of them didn't have their arms embroidered on, so I finished them too. When she came to get it and then when she got home, her and her mother cried as they thought they would always just have the blocks,... made me feel good. 

post-1667-0-60850600-1377487844_thumb.jpg

post-1667-0-18558500-1377487871_thumb.jpg

post-1667-0-56335900-1377487909_thumb.jpg

Such a wonderful story, Beverly, and you did a fabulous job putting all the ladies together! How sweet of you to finish the embroidery so each could be complete as the original quilters intended! I, too, love that the sashing complements the dresses. A treasure, indeed, for the mom and daughter, and a special treasure they have in you as a friend.

Archived