thoughts on bobbin tension problem

Hi,

I started quilting real quilts just a few days ago..before that I was using practice muslin.  I decided to use the same thread combo as the practice ones, OMNI in the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin.  I got good tension until the last 12 inches of the second one.  The top stiching still looked good and of course I didn't notice the bottom tension problem until I was done.  The bobbin thread is just sitting on top and the top thread has come through to the bottom on the curves.  What I recall doing just before the tension issue started was that I advanced the quilt....and when I started stitching again, I got a thread jam.  I cleared it, rethreaded the needle and took out and reinserted the bobbin.  I checked the underneath side by feeling instead of looking....also, the top seemed a bit more loose so I tighted up the quilt sandwich a bit.  The top stitching looked just fine.  I am thinking that a piece or fuzz or thread got stuck in the bobbin somehow or maybe I tightened the quilt sandwich too much or not enought?  I am going to clean out the bobbin area well this morning but as just wanting any thoughts as I am fairly new to my Lucey.....I love the way she moves and it was fun doing the all over loops I did on the top of this last baby quilt....I am planning on just doing over-all something freehand for the first 5 quilt tops and then hopefully moving on to something more challenging.....Thanks for any thought on the bobbin tension problem.   Lin

Since you state that you got a thread jam, I would recheck your tension on top.  Usually have thread lay on the back of the quilt with the top thread showing on the back, indicates that the top tension needs to be tightened.  Also, with the top/backing being too tight can cause some problems.  you don't want your top so tight that it is like a drum but not so loose that it sags either.

Cleaning out the bobbin area and checking your bobbin casing for any threads that might be caught is a good idea.  Sometimes with thread or needle jams, the machine needs to be retimed.  This is something to think about if you are not able to get your stitches back to normal again.  I hope this helps some. 

There are lots of wonderful ladies here that are far more experienced with these types of things than me and I am sure that they will chime in here with additional ideas for you :)

Thanks Laura and Heidi,

I will make sure I check all the things you have mentioned....I just got back from the quild meeting...lots of lovely quilts....and lots on this forum too...I sure do want to get better at my quilting and problem solving any issues that come up!  this forum is so helpful....I read it almost every day.  Lin

• 1 year later...

I'm at my wits end my top thread is showing on the backing fabric I've cleaned, oiled, blown out and worked with tension my machine is only a year old I can quilt one quilt no problem go to the next and stitching is terrible any help would be greatly appreciated I have quilts to do for Christmas and working overtime at the factory has added to my stress now this please help my machine is a Lucey... Tammy

Lin:  This is an issue that has bewildered me for some time, and I've thought about it a lot.  I'll be sewing along just fine, change my bobbin, and have a tension issue.  Now the fact that there is tension change means that either the top tension has changed, or the bobbin tension has changed.  Since it's pretty easy to keep an eye on the top thread, and using large cones means I don't often have to change top thread during a quilting job, my conclusion is that it is most likely the bobbin that is the cause.  I know I occasionally don't get my bobbin case snapped in properly and sometimes get the bobbin thread tail caught somewhere.  Some times the thread does not bet seated under the bobbin tension spring properly.  Most of the time when you pull up the bobbin thread these problems come to your attention, but not always.  I have also noticed that I will occasionally have lint stuck in my bobbin case.  I've also had thread lint pulled up by the top thread, or see it sewed in the stitches on the back of the quilt when I'm done with the job.  Also, sometimes when I change bobbins I will see a "string" of lint stuck, or riding on, my hook race.  I believe lint is probably the source of my unidentified problems.  It certainly would explain how tension issues can come and go.  The lint is dislodged, so stitching is back to normal.  So what do I do about it?  First of all, I try and avoid thread that produces a lot of lint.  Second, I make an effort to carefully clean the bobbin basket and hook race whenever I change bobbins.  Finally, I've taken to pull on both the top and bobbin thread to check for relative tension every time I change bobbins.  If they don't feel similar, I start looking for something that's not right.

I purposely wind my bobbins less that completely full to make sure the wound thread does not touch the sides of the bobbin case which would change the tension as the bobbin unwound.  I try and make sure that when I put the bobbin back in the bobbin basket (hook) it audibly snaps and feels like it is properly seated.  Every time I change bobbins, I visually check the bobbin case for lint, and remove any that is present.  Has it completely solve unexplained tension issues?  No, but it has helped.  I also feel the stitches on the back every time I start after I've had the bobbin out.  I've found that I can feel tension better than I can see it. That doesn't keep me from having issues, but it will save me a lot of frogging.  I hope my thoughts help you out.  Jim

Thanks Jim!  I posted this quite a while back but your thoughts about lint and bobbin tension really make sense....I have been matching my top and bottom thread now for a while but really am ready to jump in and try combinations as I am wanting to use a fine bobbin thread or the prewound ones now....I too keep an eye on how much thread I put on the bobbins and when I put them in the bobbin case....I pull some out to see if it is unwinding evenly and if I have too much on the bobbin, I just keep pulling until it is smooth....the last few quilts I haven't had much tension problems on.....I learned to really check the thread path as sometimes the thread will jump out especially that L shaped on and I have also learned to keep an eye on the one directly above the cone in the back as that one can get out of place.  If all else fails now...I actually get my manual out and recheck everything along the thread path ....having fun...took a class from Karen McTavish ....gonna try those feathers....Karen's studio is only a little over an hour from me .....I learned a lot although my feathers still look more like funky grapes than feathers...Lin

Hi Sewingpup,

I feel your pain, my growing pain was such, I almost sold my Millie many years ago when I just started. I bought a small air compressor, I use it all the time to blow lints out of bobbin case & basket, scrutinize & thoroughly clean that & the bobbin basket area. Then spray with WD40, yes, warm up the machine, stop then thoroughly clean the area with clean rug, then a few drops of oil, continue running the machine, after a few, stop & wipe clean again.

Check all the thread paths, re thread if necessary & do check if your tensioner knob is good.

This I do religiously before I start quilting, to keep away the gremlins.

Jim gave you solid advice, I learned & used those tips over the years, & by experience & applied every time tension issue arise. APQS staff are always available to help also.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Cory.....I did get myself a small air compressor.....but have to admit that sometimes I use the hand air pump from my exercise ball to blow out the bobbin area....but try and do a complete cleaning with the compressor periodically....My basement studio only has one outlet and not much space...so I have to drag the compressor over and plug it in ...next time I call an electrician....I will have more outlets added to the studio and maybe some overhead lights too...I think I will move that up on the project list....Lin

Archived