machine is frozen

I changed the screw on the needle bar, thought it was secure, quilted for a few rows and then the needle fell out.  Millie wouldn't power up because of a blown fuse.  Changed the fuse but now the machine is frozen.  Looked at the fly wheel, removed some thread (from a prior quilt) and she still won't move.  What do I do now?  ARGHHHH!

Kim,

Are there any lights on the machine?  Can you move the flywheel by hand?  If you're in Canada, there is at least one more additional fuse.

If the lights are on and the flywheel won't turn, then something has jammed up the hook assembly.  Did your needle break?  And have you found all the pieces if it did?

Post in the APQS Help forum - Dawn and Amy watch that part of the site, even on the weekend.  Also, send an email to service@apqs.com - Dawn will sometimes answer.

My needle bar light is on, also the automatic light.  Yes, the needle broke.   I don't see any needle pieces but that doesn't mean there aren't any there.  If I let it run do I use the blue on button and increase the stitches per inch?  If I do that the machine gets a louder motor noise/vibration but still won't move.  I am unable to move the fly wheel by hand.

You have a piece of needle stuck in the hook. Do not turn your machine on as you will blow another fuse. Loosen the retaining finger, remove your needle and spray in the hook with WD40. Rock back and forth using the fly wheel continuing with WD40. After you get the piece out, check for burrs and nicks, put retaining finger back in place. Check your needle depth and retime if needed, which it probably will.

Your machine is not broken it is jammed and can be fixed. Call Amy in the morning if you need help in the morning.

Shirley

Removed the retaining finger and have rotated the hook assembly.  Nothing is working, piece of needle is jammed in there.  Thanks Shirley, I can at least breathe knowing that part of the needle is stuck, not that I've destroyed the machine.  Now to tell my friend, we share the machine.  Yikes

Kim,

I sent you an email explaining how to try and unjam the hook. Sorry, I didn't check the forum first so part of the info is redundant because you've already done it based on advice here. If you have blown both of your fuses, then before the day ends and the stores close you might want to hit the hardware store if you don't have any more spares. You need a 6.3 amp SLOW BLOW fuse. Take one with you to the hardware store for size comparison.

Keep me posted! I've got to mow the lawn this afternoon but will check back on emails and the Forum when I'm done to see how it's going.

I want to thank everyone for their support.  I spoke with Amy today and she got me through the crisis, along with everyone else who helped me.  What a great forum, help is always here when needed.  Thanks again for the advice.  I had a piece of needle jammed between the bobbin holder and hook assembly.  All is well now.

Dawn, I hope you got the yard mowed!

Archived