Does anyone have pictures of western quilts they have quilted?

Are you looking for custom designs or an overall? For an overall design, look through panto/digitized design catalogs for something that looks like leather tooling--like on a saddle. Then either use that as inspiration for drawing your own designs or purchase the perfect one.

For custom, the stand-bys are ropes (lassos in the sashings, etc.) geometric diamonds like Southwest designs, hats and boots (not my favorite but it depends on the quilt) and other representational designs associated with cowboys/ the West. You can also refine the leather tooling designs very easily for custom quilting.

Oh thanks Heidi!  I am finally up and running again, I even have 4 customer quilts in the que….two are small and are loaded side by side and then I discovered that I never unpacked or saw my hartley base expander and since these are custom….I had to order one and am waiting for it to arrive - hopefully today...

I love my new studio - so much brighter and much bigger!  I feel so blessed even though I had to move away from the grandchildren - but I know I am barking up the wrong tree mentioning that to you….:)

Now that we have internet again - I will be on the forum more often again!  

Thanks Linda,

This is a small one that needs custom, It is a typical texas quilt - the state of Tx with a cowboy on a horse in the middle of it with of course the flag on the top and the alamo on the bottom…I'd post a picture if I could remember how...

Am thinking after outlining everything - stones on the alamo, pebbles on the state around the cowboy silhouette, and swirls in the sky, there is a gold border on the right and top and a brown border with the letters TEXAS on the left and bottom borders..just not sure what to do with those to make it sing…this will be going to the new guild I am joining for show and tell so I want to wow them!

Perhaps stitch a spaced row of circles filling to the edge of the gold borders and stitch the five-pointed star inside. If you need more stitching, fill the areas outside the stars and within the circles with a tiny stipple or close together straight lines to pop the stars.

Thanks Linda,

This is a small one that needs custom, It is a typical texas quilt - the state of Tx with a cowboy on a horse in the middle of it with of course the flag on the top and the alamo on the bottom…I'd post a picture if I could remember how...

Am thinking after outlining everything - stones on the alamo, pebbles on the state around the cowboy silhouette, and swirls in the sky, there is a gold border on the right and top and a brown border with the letters TEXAS on the left and bottom borders..just not sure what to do with those to make it sing…this will be going to the new guild I am joining for show and tell so I want to wow them!

I didn't read very well... :blush: I'm not experienced enough to do custom work, so I only do pantos. Having just moved from Texas I also have some quilts (3 of which really should be custom designs due to the applique). I'm hoping that through following pantos I'll get more familiar with designs and hope to graduate to custom work. I will say that living in the metroplex is a quilters dream as far as the number of shops.....and I really liked the "Quilt across Texas" and "Spring Fling shop hops". In fact when I go pick my grand-daughter up for Thanksgiving I plan to make a fabric run.....since I'll be there it would be a shame to waste a trip :huh:

Vicki, glad to see you back..  No matter what you do, it will be a Wowser!  Just try to relax and have

fun with it.  there is a site, I'll have to think of the name, that has a load of western stuff.. guns, hats and whips;

horse shoes, stars, & loops.  Ropes and stars, just all kinds of things.  I have to find that name.

It could be any of these I'll post.   It has digital and paper pantos, but I mention only so you can see what is

available for ideas. 

www.legacyquilting.com

www.urbanelemenz.com

www.intelligentquilting.com

Look for patterns by Patricia Ritter, or go right to her site.

Most of these sites have free downloads, also.  Some very pretty or cute,

some more masculine, etc. 

Good luck..

Rita

I have a southwestern type quilt on my blog. I don't have much on the blog yet so it's easy to find. I just posted it a week ago. I definitely quilted it differently than a non-western quilt...wood grain, pebbles, triangular shaped thing in the sashing. Hope this helps.

Jess

Jess,

The quilting is awesome! You all just amaze me at the talent you possess.

Archived