Musings on the Houston Festival

*Thoughts after going to Houston for the first time.*

There are a multitude of talented people whose art is unrecognized by the majority of the general public. 

Houston is beautiful.

If you go to Festival, don't arrive before the doors open. You will stand in a crush of femininity, amid a sea of perfume, and a noise level that reaches a shrill scream as excited ladies gear up to see the wonders of the show. Wait 20 minutes after opening and breeze in.

Food is expensive and BAD on-site.

Take a water bottle and put it in a pocket or bag as you enter. "No food or drink on the quilt show floor" but you'll need that water and the fountains are few and the water is not delicious. Water for sale at the show is waaaaaay at the end of the food area and $3 a pop.

Bring clothes for every type of weather--except for "cool". We didn't have any of that!

If you can, take an extra day and rent a car to visit the Texas Quilt Museum--about an hour and a half away. I'm so glad we managed to fit this in.

Eat. Eat real BBQ. Eat real Cajun. Eat real Mexican. Eat real beef steak. We ate like pigs and at every opportunity. We had a native Texan with us and she was relentless with the restaurant choices. But I walked so much I actually lost a bit of weight!!

Take the smallest bag/purse into the show and vendor area. Take cash, ID, cell phone, camera, and a charge card. Leave the rest at the hotel. After your first purchases are made, mosey over to a longarm vendor and they'll be happy to give you a nice big bag to carry your stuff in.

Good deals were to be had on thread and batting. Fabric not so much--regular LQS prices mostly.

The vendors were a great place to Christmas shop! There were lots of NQR vendors--lots of gorgeous jewelry, silver bell charms and pendants with sentimental family/friends themes, art and photos, clothing, comfy ergo shoes, etc. One of my group did all her Christmas shopping! The aisles in the vendor area were what you would consider "normal" which means there were massive crowds that stopped traffic on occasion.

As for the show? Stunning. Humbling. Joyful--I saw some familiar names! Some quilts made you cry--some made you laugh. Many just made you stare and stare. How did they do that? Why did they decide that? Choose that? Make that work? Stitch like that? The space was great with plenty of wide aisles and space to stand back and take photos. The arrangement was not avenue-straight so you might miss a grouping--but coming back through you made sure you saw it all. You might hear four different languages at once as you all stared at a quilt. 

Plan to stare at quilts for two hours, hit the vendors for two hours, and then rest for a snack and feet-up time. The show quilts stopped registering if I took longer than that. After a re-charge, quilts again and then swap again. I marked on the site map where I had visited and where I stopped. Each time we met up, my group would ask each other--"Did you see all the quilts yet?" and we always said no!

Would I recommend a visit? It's a bucket-list must-go. Would I go again? Yep!

Linda, you summed it up very well.  I was delighted to meet you and Connie, as well as get reacquainted with Pam.  So sorry that we missed Julie and anyone else from the forum who was there.

Halloween costumes in the APQS booth were a hoot.  The guys were wearing fancy hats. Dawn was a piratess (is that a word?), Brenda was a baseball player (so sorry if I interpreted the costume wrong!), and Angela.....well, I do not know how to describe her costume and I certainly did not recognize her!  I hope someone has pictures of them to post.

Yes, Linda, you sumed in up about right.  However, for those going int he future, there is free Ozark water fountains on the 2nd and 3rd floor. 

Sorry I missed you all, I guess, Julie and I were just a bit late, about 3:20.  I waited around until 3:30 then went back to shopping.  I am so sore today.  I went to the Market the weekend before and Monday and Tuesday.  Then Friday and Sunday, spent way too much.  Sometimes living in Houston can be costly as far as the quilt show goes.  Next year I may just sit out - maybe??

Hope all make it home safe and I am glad to see everyone had a great time. 

Yes, Linda summed it up perfectly. It was great to see Carmen again and to meet Connie and the very wise Linda. I met up with Julie in 2 classes and she is awesome, I had a great time with her. I also met Aggie another APQS longarmer in class too and she was a lot of fun. Thanks girls. Dawn was the teacher and she was a hoot!! She sang and joked, I loved both classes and learned so much from her. She is so knowledgeable and answered any questions we had. Thanks Dawn it was great and can't wait to practice what I learned.

Linda, Carmen, and Pam--It was really great to meet you.  The show was amazing and if you follow Linda's tips, you will survive.  The eating tip is especially good. Houston is a great place to eat and we had some outstanding dinners.  I met up with a friend who is a Houston girl and she auditions restaurants for us all year long.  Definitely going back next year.

I, too, made it to HQF for the first time last week.  I am a college instructor and normally can't take time off during the semester, but this year I am on sabbatical so I could make it.  I had thought I would have to wait until I retire, then got approved for time of from teaching.  I pretty much agree with what Linda said.  I will comment that the best tote bag I found was from Baby Lock.  It had a wide shoulder strap that was long enough to wear cross body.  That made a huge difference when carrying a heavy bag of purchases.  The show bag was not well designed as far as I was concerned.  The two straps really cut into my shoulder in a very painful way, but it will make a great bag for groceries!  My two friends and I found the water coolers on the third floor on Wednesday afternoon before the sneak preview.  We chose to stay in a cheaper hotel downtown (yes there is one!) and found it quite the adventure...one we will laugh about for years!  We met some friends from our area there for dinner all four nights and had great food and a wonderful time.

I had a friend invite me complete with hotel room, but was unable to go because of work schedule, but it is on my bucket list!!!  My sister lived in Houston for many years - before she was a quilter - and didn't even know the show existed.  Now she's kicking herself.  We're going together - maybe next year.  Thanks for the advice, Linda

I just got back to the office today after flying home from Houston last evening. It was great fun to see so many APQS owners (and soon-to-be-owners) at the show! It is definitely one of those "bucket list" items every quilter should add. Linda's re-cap and suggestions are spot-on.

Pam, I enjoyed getting to spend some time with you, Aggy, Julie and new owner Janet in class--you're going to be great!

Happy quilting! :)

Teresa, it is about a 5 hour trip from Dallas to Houston going highway 45.

Linda just so you know cold front is coming in this afternoon so we do have cool weather for a couple of days when the fronts arrive. And as you know we do get rain down here.

I went with a non quilter on the 31st so we went through everything from 10 am to 2:30 pm.  When I go with my daughter, we stay till it is over. Always fun to see what the vendors come up with. This was year 3 for me and I hope to do it every year.

Archived