what am i doing wrong now?

Joan

You could check the mag collar adjustment.  I don't know if it is in your maintenance manual (I have it in one Mark gave us in a class).  Basically remove the needle plate and cycle the single stitch a few times and watch where the hook stops in relation to the hook finger.  It should stop right at the right edge of the finger slot  or about the width of the slot to the right.  Too much to the right and your bobbin thread won't pull up and if it is to the left of the slot it will cause a tangle in the hook assembly.  If it needs adjusting send a email to Amy and she can send instructions back by email on Monday.  If it is stopping too much to the right you can rotate the flywheel forward a little to get the thread to release until you make the adjustment.

Hope this helps

Nigel

This happens to me right after I wind a new bobbin.  For some reason the thread wraps around inside the bobbin case. If I can pull it up, it will quilt an inch and then break.  If I take it out and unwrap some of the thread, it's fine.  Sometimes I think it hits a seam and doesn't want to pull up.  I hope yours is an easy fix.

Wish I could help Joan.  Nigel did a great job of explaining.  Libby, is it possible you are overfilling the bobbins?   If you can pull some off and it then works well, it sounds as though it's too full and putting too much tension against the bobbin case.   Once the thread is removed a bit, it lessens the case pressure and lets it do it's job.

Just askin.

Rita

My suggestion is too simple to be a real fix, but a suggestion.  When I find that I can't pull up the bobbin thread, I take the bobbin case out, and reinsert it into the hook assembly.  Sometimes I just don't have everything seated correctly.  Also, trying to pull up the bobbin thread away from where I ran out of bobbin thread.  It's as though the small tail of former bobbin thread interferes with the new bobbin, and causes it to get stuck.

To quote Linda Rech, "A clean machine is a happy machine."  Have you tried blowing out lint between bobbin changes, as Dawn suggests?  Maybe you've got a little bit of lint there some where and some WD-4- and oil will cure this.  Here's hoping.

Shana from Alaska posted long time ago about how she takes care of the bobbin & bobbin case area. I since then use my compressor, WD40 & machine oil every time. I do this first thing before warming my machine. Clean machine is really a happy machine.

Make sure you have properly wound & clean bobbin. I regularly blow air & clean the finger.

Check your thread path, sometimes rethreading helps.

Check your needle & how it's inserted & the tension disc also.

You might need retiming.

There was a time in my first few months of Longarming that I was so frustrated with my machine, hang in there & ask questions, call APQS office, they are the best (if you own one).

I have decided for my peace of mind to use Filtec bobbins for a while until I was able to manage the art of using the regular way of winding.

Archived