bobbin case noise

Hi everyone. Well, when will I learn? My needlebar screw was getting a little bit stripped (after only two weeks!?/) and so I followed DH's advice and removed it to go shop for another one. We came home empty handed, and I returned the screw to the needlebar. It didn't like going back in (I have ordered two more for replacements) and the first time I turned the machine on, the needle hit the bobbin case. I removed the stitch plate and the needle and screw, and cleaned the area. Everything looked good, the needle cleared the bobbin case, looking like it should according to the book, but now when I'm quilting slow, I can hear a noise, a tickety tick noise in the bobbin case. The stitches are fine, beautiful in fact. Should I be hearing any noises like this? I haven't been using the machine long enough to know what is normal. Darn husbands, anyway. I wish I had left well enough alone. Are any noises from this area normal?

Running scared,

Judy Z

Been there done that! I do have some noise coming from my Bobbin although it is'nt a clickety click. Not sure whether its good or not..... The last time that I did have some real noises after breaking a needle it turned out that I did have to retime my machine. So maybe you should look in the instruction book at the retiming and just make sure that you don't need to retime. I always use the first or second step.... not sure which one it is at this time that says to get under the machine and look and see if the eye of the needle is the way it is supposed to be. And so far if everything is good there I don't have any problem with anything else. Hope this gives you some idea of what to look for.

Judy,

I would say if you did not hear the noise before, then it is probably some kind of burr on the bobbin case or on the hook. I had a bad jam several months ago and ended up replacing the hook. Sometimes, you can just buff burrs off with emery cloth but mine was a bad one. ($130 hook replacement at our local machine shop). Hopefully yours is just on the bobbin case.

Take the bobbin case out and run the outside along a piece of nylon, like hose to see if you get a snag. My hands are so rough in the winter that I can't feel a burr very well. I usually use my inside wrist to feel for burrs on a needle, etc. You can get emery cloth at the local hardware store. Make your DH go for it.:P

I have had my hook retaining finger loosen up as the result of a jam. Look up under the needle plate. It looks like a finger pointing toward the back of the machine; it goes in the slot of your hook area to keep it from coming forward on the shaft. You may just need to tighten the screw in the finger.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Judy Lee

I'd phone APQS but before you do, put a metal (not prewound) bobbin in the bobbin case and start stitching.,

Take the bobbin out and check to see if there are any needle dents along the edge of the bobbin

Also Check the height of the needle - instructions are in the manual under timing.

Knowing the answer to these two things will help APQS techs to solve your problem quicker.

Best wishes

sue in australia

Hi Judy Lee--

Did you change needles? If you are perfectly timed, the hook will slightly deflect the needle. If the tick sound is in sync with the speed of the machine, perhaps your needle is getting hit a little harder by the hook (especially if you have beautiful stitches!) Or maybe the needle screw has the needle slightly off straight. When I put in a new needle, I listen for the tick. Good luck!

Linda Rech

Thanks everyone for the tips. It's a little scary when everything is so new. I took the manual and went through the parts on timing. I removed the needleplate and looked at how the needle is in relation to the hook, and it all looks right. I'm sure I'm just jumpy, LOL. Now the machine is really clean too, and I ordered two new needlebar screws jic.

Judy

Let me put a plug in for taking a maintenance class if you are able - my husband and I just got back from the Feb 22-23 class, and I feel SO much more confident in our abilities to keep this machine up and running. It's really not so difficult as it seems when you first look at this big machine.

In addition to good advice that's already been given, I suggest calling the techs with a phone that you can put right up near the machine and they can listen to it and check it out.

Julia

Archived