Triangles - aaaaaargh!!!

Not that I don't like them, mind you, they are very nice when they all hit the seem at the same time in a nice row, but when their points refuse to connect, I want to chuck them and go straight for the woof or the warp or whatever it is in a hurry. Get those biases away from me!! AAAaaaarrgggghhh!!!

The first BOM was great, as it was just a kind of feathered star... um, it's called Union Square and it's nice and square and looks great. But that Corn and Beans..... yikes! Too many little triangles. They seem nice and innocent laying there in pieces, but when I put them all together in a square, it isn't. Heeelllp!!!

Here's Union Square and I'll post Corn and Beans in the next one.

post--13461897931454_thumb.jpg

I've never made this kind of block before, so I'm just learning. The fabrics were provided, except the background which was mine. Maybe there's some way to make it square without reducing it's size a lot so it will still fit in the wall hanging. :mad:

post--13461897931546_thumb.jpg

One of my favourite new gadgets is a ruler that helps construct half-square triangles..it's the Quilt in a Day Triangle Square Up ruler. They make perfect sized squares and you can make up to 8 at a time. It's quick and easy and makes such a difference in the construction of blocks. Same goes for the Quilt in a Day Flying Geese ruler...no wonkiness, just perfect!

I know they are difficult - but they look awesome - I love that corn and beans....I love all of them. I keep thinking a quilt for my list (of quilts I want to do but probably never will), is Geese on a Pond -I think that is the name - lots of triangles but so cool.

Before I will cut back a block, I will 'block' it on my ironing board. I will pin the block upside down - wrong side up that is - with every inch a pin, pull it out somewhat to a bit more than the actual size of the block, then spray some water at the back of the block to wet the block somewhat, not through and throuhg mind you, and place the iron in steps at the back of the block. This way the block will stabilize at the right size.

I will then leave the block to dry completely for a couple of hours, sometimes all night, and after drying remove the pins. The block has the right size then, is totally flat and looks great.

If the size is too large after blocking, I will cut it down to the required size, but beware not to cut points away!

This works for me, and for my students. I always tell them to take the time to work blocks the right way, it will help when putting them together and straighten the quilt and square the top of the quilt.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Sylvia, I'm afraid it was my stitching that was at fault, a lot. I'm not sure I could stretch that background that far into shape. And what happens when you wash the thing? Won't it go back to the real shape? Then you have to so it all over, only now you've quilted it and it will be impossible.... Or does the quilting keep it from going back to it's original shape?

Love the suggestions for cutting. I have the EZ Quilting Easy Angle, but the instructions didn't have me cutting all the triangles. I had to draw a line diagonally then stitch 1/4" either side, then cut down the middle. That wasn't so bad, but I think I might not have stitched as straight as possible. Anyway, I think it was the patchwork foot/Bernina marks discrepency that mixed me up. Just have to stick with one or the other next time.

Yup, I love triangels too, because they make the piece look SO quilty!

Patty, It depends on how often you will wash a quilt, and yes the quilting keeps the measurements in place. I don't wash quilts when they are wallhangings, and if you wash a quilt, it will entirely shrink, not just the patchwork blocks, so it should not be a problem.

Sylvia

Great suggestion Sylvia. Wonderful blocks Patty. You could just say, "that's my fish eye block". ;) How frustrated you must feel after all that work. I do think that wetting and blocking and even spray starch will get it manageable. If not, you can always try hair gel. Just kidding. I had a puffy block on my stack n whack and the Hartley Fence circles cured that problem.

Vicki

I can see several sides on those 2 blocks that have an outside wow. I would put a large square ruler (like a 12 1/2") on them and, making sure you have 1/4" from the points, trim the block. I can see that you have enough room between the edges and your points to do a bit of trimming on almost all the sides. And get those quilt-in-a-day rulers, they work the best!

Thank-you Sandra for telling us about the triangle ruler, I have loved my flying geese for years but didn't know about the triangle ruler.

Cher

Cher, "outside wow"??? OK, I guess that means they bow. The first block is alright, I measured and it has slightly more than 12" both ways pretty much everywhere, so it will be fine. I think it just looks funny in the picture because the seems are puffing it up slightly. The second one is the weirdo, and I think I'll use Vicki's line about "that's my fish-eye". Yup. :D Blocking it is, then, with water and/or starch. OK, now what kind of surface is best for blocking?

I don't have the right fabric to make a new block, Shana, but I COULD do it if I have to and just have one different-shaded block. I already had to replace some of the medium green with those checks, as I cut one strip wrong and didn't have enough for mistakes.

I did steam/spritz-block it last night, so I'll post a new pic and see if it's any better than it was. I noticed it looks a bit bowed, but it seems to be the camera's fish-eye this time, as the lines on my mat look bowed too. I think it looks a lot better now, thanks!

post--13461897933361_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Judi. I will be sure to share it. I guess it's too much to keep posting each block as I go through the months, eh? Wish I could take credit for the colors, but the fabric is provided by the shop. $5 for the first block and the rest free as long as I bring my latest block for show and tell. Nice set-up, I think.

I went yesterday and found out the blocks are supposed to be 12 1/2" (I'd thought 12"), so I'm way off anyway, I guess. It's due to my using the line on the machine, which I was mistaken as to where it falls. It's only in the BACK of the needle on the plate, not in front. Why on earth did Bernina do that??? Well, it still isn't the same as the 1/4" patchwork foot. I guess I'll just keep making 3/8" seems for the rest and they'll all come out around 12". Teacher said not to worry about it until we piece them all together. I thought, but isn't that just putting off the inevitable? LOL!

Archived