Sewer's Aid

I use a lot of Sewer's Aid this time of year because of the dryness in the air. Does anyone have a source where you can get it in larger amounts than 1/2 ounce? Or get a price break if you buy a case at a time?

I emailed Prym-Dritz about this, but it says it may be two weeks before they respond. I'm not that patient when I want an answer!

Thanks,

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Nope you are stuck with those tiny little bottles. I called then several years ago and they said they only make little ones. Now if you have a business set up with TaxID's you can order case lots from either Checker or Brewer.

Hi Phyllis,

Here is a website that sells bulk "thread lubricant" and the applicator. The only problem I see is the applicator needs a metal, not aluminum body machine for the magnet to attach too. Also, try a Google search using "sewing thread lubricant" and you will come up with more commercial sources for bulk sewing thread lubricants. I've been using Lube-it-all that I purchased online.

http://www.southstarsupply.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20

Hi Sparkle, Thanks for the link to South Star, I just called them and you don't need a business license to by from them. That's a good deal for those that haven't gotten started yet in a full business, but need supplies.

Thanks for the link, Sparkle. The lubricant set-up sounds like a commercial version of the batting-in-the-thread-guide solution where you apply Sewer's Aid to the batting. Probably more efficient and prettier too! It's great to find a commercial source. Attaching anything to the aluminum body is easy with that spongey mounting tape. I put my home-made front spool holder on with it and it works great.Thanks!

Linda R

Another way to get a tiny bit of lubricant on the thread is to put a soft cosmetic sponge, (I use a rectangle shaped one by Cover Girl, comes in a 3 pack) positioned in the first thread guide above the spool. Add a few drops of lubricant to the sponge. It not only lubricates the thread, it also helps control the thread some as it passes through.

Wow! Thanks everyone for such great responses. I'm going to order the thread lubricant from South Star. Its a lot less expensive that way than buying it in those half ounce bottles.

Eva, how do you attach the cosmetic sponge to the first guide? I've tried winding batting around it, but have never been satisfied with that.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Sharon Schamber got her start in garments also, & dunking the spool is what she does on all her threads I believe. She said to drop the cone init and when it stops bubbling take it out and set it on a paper towel for a minute and then thread up and go. She said the silicone will only soak in so far and then you just do it again, bobbins and all. She said that it helps with breaking threads, and backlash in the bobbin, and static. It makes sense to me but then I don't have a machine either. Just keep reading about all the sewers aid being used out there so I think I'll be dunking when I do get my machine!

Just wanted to say that I ordered a quart of the silicone lubricant from SouthStar. They do have a $10.00 surcharge for orders under $25.00 and $5.00 for orders between $25.00 and $50.00

It would really be nice if someone like Columbia River or Kingsmen would start selling thread lubricant in larger sizes. I think I'll try contacting Columbia River about it.

I think I'll need to go buy another bottle of Sewer's Aid before the order comes.

Archived