Ahem! Eating my words re: batiks

Who was it said "I don't like batiks. Period"? Not me........ well.... I didn't like batiks until today. Yup. I hadn't actually looked closely at batiks since a few years ago when they were boring. But now...... I poked my head in my LQS just to get some ideas for the church quilt, and don't you know I fell in love with some batik fat quarters. Well, I bought a few, even if I don't use them in the BASH quilt, because they were so beautiful I want to use them in something else. Can you believe it? Me! the batik-disliker. HA! Live and learn. Never say never, that's what I say!

I'd love it if those of you who've made quilts with batiks could post pics, especially if you used all or mostly batiks, so I could see your color arrangements and stuff. Would be kule. :)

Hi, Patty. There are a couple of really good books out there using Batiks. One is called Batiks and Beyond and the other is called Batik Beauties. You might try looking at those for ideas.

The only quilts that I have made so far using batiks were Mystery quilts at my LQS. I don't have pictures of them yet to post. Good luck to you!

I agree Patty. I didn't like them in the beginning either, I even took a class to learn "Fine Hand Applique" (that one is still a UFO) and the class project was Batik - I tried to talk them out of it...but now I have done a 360...I really like them. I love Linda's "Fruit Cocktail" and there have been some others I have seen that have made me want to start a Batik stash. Okay, twist my arm....to get me to start a new stash :P

Linda R., thanks for sharing!! Beautiful. I was thinking maybe that Fruit Cocktail would be a good setting for the pics from the mission, but can't find the pattern. Do you know if it's still available somewhere? I looked online for Vicki Stratton's patterns, but didn't see it anywhere.

Hester, oh my land, I love your quilts! How did you decide the layout? I mean which blocks to place where? I do see palm trees in the border of that second one, so you did great. Your quilts are inspiring!

Thanks, everybody. This is fun! Marybeth, we can start another stash together, eh? Who will win? LOL! Sewhappy Patty, get that DH going on your pictures, I really want to see your quilts.

Oh, Chelly, I did get a gander at Batiks and Beyond, but didn't find enough to make me spend the $27.99 they wanted for it at my LQS. Interesting patterns though. I didn't see the other one there, but might visit my alternate LQS and see if they have it. Thanks for the tip!

Patty,

Thank you all for the nice compliments, in the first quilt, that just started as as a block of the month for 3 months with my guild..and I had 3 batik blocks done and that was it..So I decided to find a different block pattern for each block and just went from there. I had seen the staggered star border on a quilt way back some time ago and loved it, so I just made up the little border blocks and put it together.

On the other quilt I just tried one block out of a book and wasn't sure if I wanted to do all that applique on those fluer's or whatver they are. But it was the same thing, had a great block and now what do you do with just one? So ended up with another all batik quilt..I just try to arrange so the colors are spread out evenly.

Silly question...

I thought what makes it a fabric a batik was the use of a pattern by wax resist. Most of these look like hand dyes. Do quilters call all hand dyes batiks? What makes this fabric batik?

As far as hand dyeing, I don't buy "batiks" because I dye my own blenders to match my inspiration fabric, if I can't find something. I'd like to print my own fabric, but haven't landed a wide carriage printer yet.

Regards,

Sharon

I am so happy those who are coming round to batiks are doing so at this time...there are so many beautiful batiks out there right now...more and more all the time....if you love color batiks are the bomb...so rich and concentrated color...i work and teach at one of our local shops and all the employees are crazy for batiks and fight over them...(not really!)...I love the batik work i have seen on this thread...i don't post much but try to check in when i can...peace/out.stephanie

Mmmmmm..... yum-yum-yummie batiks!! Just bought a few more (sorry, Beth, the bug is really biting me since I saw those pictures. I'll get the next round at H2H.) Here's just one of the precious pictures of one of my church's mission involvements in Senegal, in a place called "Lake Grove Land" (named by the people there because our church's name is Lake Grove Pres.)

Oh dear, sounds like I'm trying to brag about my church, but I'm really not. I just want to share these beautiful, inspiring people with you.

post--1346189793852_thumb.jpg

Archived