Lizbeth

Baby Quilt ideas?

Hi

I am getting better with my quilting. The practice is what counts. I still need help

in how to quilt. Enclosed is a picture of a baby quilt, she does not want a lot of

quilting. It has a minkie backing. Anything special I need to know about minkie?

Please give suggestions.

Thanks, Lizbeth

post-63302-0-45568600-1406551010_thumb.jpg

Lizbeth

Love the elephants.  How about a meander with peanuts scattered over the quilt?  You will love the minkie!!!!

Dell 2016 Millie Frannie Ann Jr. with Bliss & she is Quiltaziod and Circle Lord Equipped with lots of Quilting Toys and now has Quilt Path!

I'm not a fan of minkie, but that's just my opinion.  I do try to load it with the greater stretch going parallel to the rails.  Less chance of your backing stretching longer and longer as you advance.

I think a simple edge to edge design would be lovely.

Beth Durand

Elizabeth Originals Custom Quilting

www.eocquilting.com

beth@eocquilting.com

2006 APQS Millenium

Authorized APQS Dealer

Minkee is a bit tricky. Try to keep it unstretched in both directions. I load with the selvedges to the leaders. To keep the sides from stretching out, I put very little tension on the backer and take a 4" by 12" strip of fabric, which I fold around the edge of the backer and carefully pin about every 2 inches. I attach the clamps to the folded fabric. Don't stretch the clamp elastic tight---just keep it so there's no obvious stretch to the backer This seems to keep the backer even. If you stretch the Minkee, it will recoil when you unload it and you'll get bubbles of fabric on the top side.

I agree with the suggestions for an overall design. 

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Be careful of the block seams pulling apart since there is no border holding everything together. You could gently tell your customer to stitch 1/8 inch all the way around the outside edge on this kind of top. A bubble and star freehand overall would also look nice.

Jennifer Bernard

My quilted jackets are on a competition journey around the country

gathering pretty ribbons (sometimes)!

Quilting with my Millennium and playing with my Quiltazoid!