Advice for quilting this t-shirt quilt

Southern Quilts

Hey ladies! I've enjoyed this forum so much - great info! So, I thought I'd get your advice about quilting a t-shirt quilt on the longarm.

I've never done a t-shirt quilt on the LA so any feedback from your experience is appreciated! This is a unique quilt....there were so many t-shirts to include, I had to piece the front and the back. Most of the shirts are white, the rest of them are bold colors like red and black. The blocks are set together with black sashing and borders. Any suggestions on how to quilt this thing? Should I use invisible thread on both sides since the design is on the front and the back? Any info would be very helpful! Thanks!

I would use a matching bobbin thread to your backing in either cotton or bottom line & Superiors Mono Poly on the top.

It will go fast, & you will not detract from the designs on the T-shirts!;)

You didn't mention if the t-shirts are backed, but I'm sure they are, otherwise they will stretch as you try to work on them...some people can quilt them like that...but not me...I would be bald!! I have done many t-shirt quilts and I quilt as any other quilt, except that I don't do a really close design, more of a big loopy design such as "Which Way Did They Go" pantograph or a good size meander. As for thread, It is hard to say on the front - Linda is right about the back - but the front usually has so many differnt colors going on. Maybe blend with the sashing and/or borders?? I am working on one right now that has pink sashing and borders because the girl doesn't like her high school colors. I had a verigated that I needed to use up so I am using it on this quilt - not sure I like it, probaby shoud have went for white or pink, but anything would have stood out. Since it is a t-shirt quilt, I won't rip it out, I'm sure I am worried for nothing, it probably looks fine. Good luck with whatever you come up with, I'm sure it will look just fine.

I'm no expert, but I have used the monopoly clear on the t-shirt quilts that I have done in a big loopy meander. There was so much going on with the quilts, that I didn't want anything to else added that might distract. My customers were all pleased with them though.

Beth

T-shirts quilts are easy to work with.. T-shirts need some iron one stabliziers ironed onto the back of it. Then put the sashings on and you are ready to go. I have backed the quilts with Flannel or cotton. I usually do a freehand pattern to quilt them, as my thread seems to break often while quilting t-shirts.

Good luck with your quilts... Barb Wetzel

I agree with Beth. I have used monopoly on the top and matched the bobbin thread to the backing. I used a big loose puzzle meander. If the shirts aren't backed you might want to raise your foot just a smidge so there is not so much drag on the fabric. Somebody also suggested to me that you can lay water soluble on top of the T shirts and quilt through that, then just rinse it away. It's supposed to help the foot glide better and help the needle holes in the iron on designs. I can see the foot thing, maybe, but I don't see how it would help the needle holes.

Hi Necie - I use monopoly on the top and bottom line on the back and have never had any tension issues or thread breakage (you do have to really loosen up the top tension). I always use a panto and they come out great. I'm not sure how monopoly on top and bottom would work but maybe someone else knows....just slow down if you have any shirts w/ that "painted on" plasticy kind of lettering like on a sports team jersey and you won't have any problems. have fun.

Necie,

I have over 5 requests to piece t-shirt quilts. I've been doing research myself. Haven't made one yet, though. I was advised to use Fusi-Knit as the iron-on interface. I bought a bolt at Joanne Fabrics using my 50% discount coupon. You may also want to look at

http://goosetracks.com/

This site provides complete instructions on putting together a t-shirt quilt.

Archived