Fresh Plum Kuchen

ffq-lar

We had a great crop of purple plums this year. We dried several batches and ate fresh plums for days! Here's a recipe for classic Plum Kuchen. It's not too sweet and a great way to use summer fruit.

Using an 8" or 9" springform pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and butter the sides.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In your mixing bowl, cream one cube of butter (4 ounces) with 1/3 cup sugar. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, one large egg, and the zest of one lemon. Beat until smooth. Sift together 1 3/4 cups flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder. Gradually mix into butter mixture. The batter will be stiff. Spoon into prepared pan and spread to edges. I used my very clean fingers to level the batter.

Top with pitted plum halves, cut side up. It took 12 plums to cover the top.

Make a crumble topping by mixing 3 ounces butter (3/4ths of a cube) with 3/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Use a pastry blender or food processor to mix until it's crumbly. Layer on top of the plums. Bake for 50-60 minutes. The plums will be bubbling up through the topping when it's done.

Serve with vanilla ice cream or the German way, with a pour of cream on top. Yum!

This can be made with your favorite berries, fresh peaches, or very thin apple slices tossed with cinnamon and sugar. 

My mother will love this!  I'll have to see if I can make up a batch.  I'd like to try it with almond meal.  Yes different then flour but trying for less carbs.  I don't have a flour or gluten intolerance but I am pre-dibetic and trying with all my might to get rid of anything that easily turns to sugar.

Hi Heidi! This will convert to use with almond flour easily. I think you may need to use less baking powder. What sweetener do you like to use? I've been successful with a modified paleo diet. No dairy, wheat, soy, or sugar. My last check-up has me at normal blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, and I'm happy with a nice loss of weight. (I'm now considered "overweight" rather than "obese"!)

My goal is to weigh what it says on my driver's license!  :D

Hi Heidi! This will convert to use with almond flour easily. I think you may need to use less baking powder. What sweetener do you like to use? I've been successful with a modified paleo diet. No dairy, wheat, soy, or sugar. My last check-up has me at normal blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, and I'm happy with a nice loss of weight. (I'm now considered "overweight" rather than "obese"!)

My goal is to weigh what it says on my driver's license!  :D

Linda that was what I was thinking.  I have low BP, low cholesterol but my weight and sugar are too high.  I've lost 21 1/2 pounds and it is so hard to come off.  I actually fit in clothes that I wore at least 15 pounds less than I am right now.  My goal is 40 more lbs but I'd be happy with 30!  I've actually playing with only using real sugar and honey for sweetness.  I was using Stevia but I found my sweet tooth was getting bigger and bigger.  I really don't eat a lot of added sugar so I figure a tsp here and there isn't going to be any worse for me.  I've been able to reduce my AC1 but still not below the pre-diabetic line yet.  I haven't cut dairy.  I can't have soy so that is out no matter.  I've been using Almond milk in place of most of my milk.  I sure wish I could lose it like I used to!  I'm up to running a minimum of 3 times a week and walking an additional 2 miles at least 5 days a week.  I have been following the Shred diet plan with tweaks here and there.  I won't be so restrictive that when I lose all the weight I go right back to my old habits!  I think the biggest problem I have right now is stress.  I know it is horrible for weight loss.  I was back on track until this latest round with BIL and Madison.  I'll get there slowly but surely, it is my mission!  I decided this is the year to take care of myself.  That pesky driver's license, mine is always slapping me in the face!

Heidi -  have you seen the blog gourmetgirlcooks?   she does a lot of baking and tweaking with almond flour/swerve.  I find in her recipes, she adds just a touch of coconut flour in addition to the almond flour.  maybe there is a recipe on her site that could be a good ratio swap?  

• 4 weeks later...

Archived