smelly quilt tops

I have been buying quilt tops on ebay for practice. Most do not have a noticeable odor, but one smells like stale cigarette smoke, and one smells like a rental car (you know that awful heavy deodorant they use to disguise even more offensive smells). Other than airing them out in fresh air or washing them, does anyone have any tricks to get rid of the smells, especially the stale smoke. I don't want it to transfer the stink to my leaders, and I am not looking forward to quilting a smelly top. Any ideas?

seal it is an airtight bag or box with one of the following

- dish od bicarbonate of soda

- activated charcoal

- black dog biscuits - the ones to freshen breath

- unwrapped bar of soap

They have all been recommended on other lists at various times. I have used bicarb and found it to work well. It works on fridges too.

Ferret

Air them out................I do believe there are some previous threads on this subject if you go to search.............

Be sure the smell doesn't transfer to other items...........Try hanging them out in the shade for a bit............I'm not sure the smell of stale cig smoke ever comes out...........I had to wash an item many times before the smell went away..........I suppose it depends on how bad it really is..........and your right about not getting the smell on your leaders.........

Good luck:)

Tish

Cathey, I can't handle quilting cigarette odor quilts--just makes me so sick. I hang them outside for a day or two in nice weather --just folded on a plastic hanger works if I refold them off and on. In inclimate weather I hang them in the garage with the door open a crack, it takes a week or two but the odor goes away. I will let the person know that it will take longer due to the odor if I have promised them back to them quickly. If it's not a "quickie job" I don't mention it as most people who smoke don't realize that fabric that "lives" with them "stinks" to those of us who don't smoke. Fresh air does wonders. jeri

Archived