Fighting MonoPoly, need help

I am quilting batik on a batik backing that has been washed.  I cannot get beyond test stitching with Superior Monopoly and a muslin scrap on the side.  I have changed needles to a new 3.5, then 4.0, then tweaked the angle of the needle, loosened the quilt sandwich, changed thread spools, adjusted the top tension, changed bobbins, and cannot get more than 3" of stitching without the thread breaking.  I have been at it for over an hour and do not know what to try next.  The thread rolls off of the spool smoothly and is on the APQS spool mount on top of Millie, threaded through two holes in the first guide and two in the second.   Does anyone have ideas what to try next?  I always use Monopoly and have never had this much trouble,  Bobbin is Filtec Magna Glide Delight.  Up until now the tension and performance has been perfect with the bobbin and Glide in the top.

I run it from my top thread holder, down thru one hole around a very loose tension disc. You may also have to loosen your bobbin. I believe your problem may be from the batik, try spritzing a mist of water on the fabric and see if that helps. If the Monolon is curling after you pull it thru the needle it is too tight. I run super bobs in the bobbin.

Shirley

Zeke, I believe the spool holder is at least a major contributor to the problem.  I have spools of the MonoPoly, not a cone, so it needs to roll off of the spool holder.  I think it would twist coming off of the one on the back of the machine.  I had a mini cone of a different brand and used it on the back and did not have any trouble.  I ordered a cone of MonoPoly that will be more than a life time supply for me and I will use the spools for applique.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Just as others have suggested, loose top thread, loose bobbin to match, loose on the frame, hold your mouth just right ;) !

This is very "homemade", but put the Monopoly in a deli container with a hole at the edge of the lid. Thread it through the hole and jam it between the spindle and the side of the machine so the thread unspools up. Thread as normal. Works fine as the spool unloads nicely. This might allow you to finish before your giant cone arrives!

( Here's my everlasting plug for Essence invisible thread. Thinner that Monopoly and Monolon, very strong, very little shine. Unsponsored endorsement  :))

I use Monopoly and Sulky and love them both.  Loosen both top and bobbin to again get a balanced

stitch and see if that helps.

I also resort to spray silicone on the quilt..in small areas as you go.  Not more than 2 feet square or

rect. to equal the same.  It is regular cotton fabrics as well as batiks.  Cotton more than batiks, because

I get them more than batiks.

I soak all threads But the Mono and Sulky in mineral oil.  It does not work with invisible.

Archived