Accuquilt Studio vs Sizzix Big Shot Pro dies

Has anyone used Sizzix Big Shot Pro dies on their Accuquilt Studio cutter?  If so, have you compared how well they worked with the studio dies?  The reason I ask is that the Sizzix dies seem to be a lot less expensive.  I'm specifically interested in the strip cutting dies.  Although Sizzix doesn't have very many, they're about half the price of Accuquilt.

One more question.  I have a line on a used Accucut Grand Mark which I understand is the same basic machine as the Studio.  Besides dies, is there any other equipment/supplies that I need to use the Grand Mark as a Studio cutter?  Thanks for the help.  Jim

Heidi:  I did look through the forums topic and saw a lot of info.  Nothing to do with the actual performance however.  As I reflect on it though, I think I have something of an answer to my own question.  How the die is made may be reflected in it's cost.  I think the Accuquilt Go dies are about half the cost of the Studio's.  There's my answer.  If I want a cheap die get the lower cost, lower performance Go die.  thanks for the help.  Jim

Jim,  yes the Go dies are less $$ than the Studio, but you will also need an adaptor board so they will cut..

The Go dies are not as thick as the studio dies.

It depends on what it is and how much I think I will be using it, whether I go with the Go Board or the

Studio. 

So far all the strip boards I have are 2",   2 1/2 "   and 3  inch.

I use the  2 1/2 the most so it is studio, the 2 and 3" ers are Go dies because that's the machine  had at the time.

Himself makes the shaggy  block quilts.. he wore out the Go cutter and we replaced it with the Studio.. a good

decision.

Just check out what is needed and go from there. 

Rita

Jim I have a studio cutter and some of the boards.  I have to say hands down the cutters I use the most are my strip cutters.  You can mark them to align strips after cut the first time to cut 45, 60 or 90 degree cuts as well any other one you'd like to try out.  If I had it to do over again I wouldn't buy many of the other individual dies.  I love my cutter and wouldn't trade it for anything.  Since I have so little time to spend in my studio I don't want to spend loads of time cutting!  

I love my Studio. I use lots and lots of Go! dies with the adapters. I have had the original Go! since they were first introduced and have never had a problem with my dies - I am still using my original dies and I cut fabric all the time. I teach piecing classes (specializing in using the Go!) so am always making samples and showing my dies to students. I like many of the individual Go! dies better than the individual Studio dies because they are more efficient in using fabric. Because the Studio dies are made with wood and not plastic, the larger dies are quite heavy. I know nothing about the Sizzix machines and dies, but I love, love, love my AccuQuilt products!

Thanks Rita, Heidi, and Sue.  I've read a lot of the posts here about die cutters, and gathered that the Studio was hands down winner.  I also learned that the strip cutting dies were the ones most folks used often.  I'm researching for my wife.  Her arms and shoulders have gotten to the point where a lot of rotary cutting isn't fun anymore.  I'm sure we'll be able find room for the big machine.  She'll probably get a Studio and some strip dies for Christmas.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.  Jim

There is one more consideration, Jim.

I too have back, neck and now shoulder problems..  with the Studio I can turn it with either hand, AND best of all

it is heavy enough to hold itself in place.  We found with the Go that with only 4-5 layers of fabric, one had to hold

it and the other turn.

I think the Studio is the way to go because I love mine and I also use the GO dies with an adapter.  I just wanted to throw another curve in here.  AccuQuilt has just come out with a motorized version of the GO.  It looks very interesting.  Go to the AccuQuilt site and check it out.  I think they are just delivering them this month.  I see lots of potential   Your wife would be ecstatic receiving either one of them. 

Yes, the Go! Big is set to be delivered in the next few weeks. My understanding is that they are on their way to the retail stores now. They take larger dies but you still can only cut up to 6 layers of fabric at a time - which is fine for me as I usually only cut that number. I feel I have more control of the fabric but I have cut 10 layers with the Studio. With the Big you can also feed 2 of the smaller Go! dies through at the same time. However, you cannot use the Studio dies in the Big - only the Go! and Go! Baby dies.

Archived