Charge for binding quilt

I can make more $ quilting rather than binding, so I farm the binding out to a trusted associate who does show-quality binding. I charge $2 a foot which includes making the binding from the customer's fabric. My friend does all the work and gets all the money. A business in this region charges a flat rate for all quilting which includes the batting and also binding services. (How do they do that!!?) And yet, I am still busy! Have fun, and more business for you!!!!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

I don't do the binding. I broke my right hand a few years ago and now it doesn't bend like it used to.

Our LQS has a very special quilter who does binding. We exchange LA quilting for binding. But she charges others about 12 cents an inch (machine on both sides). I don't really know if that is high or low here in SoCal. I just know that I would pay whatever it takes to get it done. :P

Binding is my least favorite thing to do. I charge 25 cents per running inch if I stitch the binding to the front and then hand stitch the back. If I do it all by machine I charge 18 cents per running inch. If I sew it on the front and leave the handwork for the customer then its 15 cents per inch. I charge $10.00 for prepping the binding.

I purposely set the price high because I don't want to do it. But I am very surprised at the number of customers that still have me do it. Sometimes I make almost as much on the binding as I do on the quilting. I always tell them that binding is pricey, but I will do it if they want to pay my price.

Phyllis

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Now I have prices to follow........I really have enough to do so I will price it high and if they still want me to do it........so be it.......I shall. Business is business.......right????

I just had an Open House to kick off my business and it was a total sucess!!!! I was very happy with the turn out I had.......I had a drawing for 2 door prizes and I gave each coupon for 20% off quilting on their first quilt brought to me with an estimate over $100.00. I had quilts hanging that had a little of everything.....pantos......free motion......SID.....you get the idea. Anyway......they loved them and some even brought quilts for me to quilt and others set up appointments. I was really surprised but very happy about it. It may sound corny but it was the right thing for me to do.

I also have a quilt hanging at the LQS here in town and one in 2 other quilt shops in South Dakota.....just across the border which is about 40 min. from me. I know I am rambling so I will stop.....I am just soooooooo excited.

Thanks again girls........and SheriB, we will have to get together some time soon.

Happy Quilting

Congratulations! Sounds like you are well on your way to much success.

We also had an Open House and had a great day of it. My Mom and my sisters came from out of state to help out. It was so much fun. They made all kinds of Cucumber salads and little sandwiches for everyone to enjoy. The weather was great that day and the turn-out was terrific.

Nearly two years later, I still have loyal customers from that Open House and several people have asked if I'll be doing it again.

Good Job so far. Now, GET TO WORK! :D

Archived