Extended Base - No Clue

KathyA

Help. I have no clue how to use the Hartley extended base. I've tried a couple times and am having problems.

Today I tried the thing a second time - was stiching and moving toward the pick-up bar and lo and behold - the dang thing FELL OFF - and of course zero'd in right on my slipper clad foot. Big bruise across the top of my foot - I won't be tying my sneakers for a few days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I need to stabalize my first trial project so need some help. Can I SID without the base??? Would like to try some ruler work but I'm now paranoid - may need to wear major protective footwear!!!

If I cannot get this thing to work out for me I will need to return it - so I hesitate to modify or monkey with it.

HELP

TIA,

Kathy (who had a major break-through today and made GREAT strides - yeah)

Hi Kathy

The following is a copy of a previous thread on this subject. Hope this helps!

My Hartley base was also a tad loose fitting. What I did to remidy this was to add a piece of Rubbermaid shelf liner (the thinnest available) to one side of the inner base. I used 2 sided tape to adhere the grip material to the inside of the base and can still remove and install the base with ease. I also made a template of the dip that is caused by the base on the throat of the machine and cut out an adhesive backed linolium tile to fit. The tile is easy to cut and then you just need to mark the areas where the screw heads are and countersink them. Hope this info helps someone. I have a drawing of this template into my engineer and will have this for sale at some point for all APQS models. Holler if you have any questions!

Kathy did you ever get your extended base to work right and if so how do you like it now?

Has anyone heard of the Ruler Mate Extended Base? Has anyone used it and if so how do you like it? I am wanting an extended base for my birthday and trying to find out which one to buy.

I found this one on Donita Reeve's site.

Thanks

Kim Cates

Guest Linda S

I haven't had any problems using my Hartley extended base, but I am really interested in the little template Sherry is in the process of designing. It would be nice to have something make a smoother surface for those tighter quilting jobs. Otherwise, my rulers bridge the dip fairly easily.

Linda

Kim,

I had a Hartley Extended base with my Ult. 1 which I can't use with my Milli (thread cutter). I wasn't interested in buying a new one. I have had my Ruler Mate for about a month and I love it. It is one piece and solid so there is no chance of slipping or getting into a groove. It screws onto the machine with two screws in the holes of the thread plate which you remove. Adjust the hopping foot height and you're on your way. I highly recommend it.

Donna

Well, the reason my base is falling off is because of the temp in my studio I think. The metal contracts when it's cold and it's just enough to create the issue. I masking tape the thing on when using for SID. I was leaving it on all the time but it gets hung up under there some times. Sure it's my inexperience.

Today I removed it after having trouble with some curves and then things went great. So I guess I'll have to put in on only when needed - not a big deal.

I'm going to MQX in April and expect to be able to speak to quite a few people and maybe even show/discuss what my issue is with it with an APQS user/rep.

Have a great weekend - it's snowing snowballs here - amazing how fast the snow is coming down.

Archived