Extended base - which is best/easiest to use?

I have had my milli set up since October 2006, and have not had the need for an extended base yet, but am considering getting one down the road. Which kind is best, easiest to use (take on/off), best $ value? Your input would be greatly appreciated. My milli has the thread cutter attached.

Janet

I had the APQS extended base. It is removable. It is solid and large enough but my clamps kept getting hung up.

I switched to the RulerMate and love it. It is round vice rectangular and is not as much space as the APQS but I like it better. It permanently replaces the needle plate so it is not as easily removable as the APQS extended base.

RulerMate (Click here)

I have the APQS extended base and have had no issues. Yes, it does run into the clamps sometimes but I have worked around this by taking a yardstick or dowel rod under the clamps between the rods and this hold the clamps up and away from working area. It is very easy to take off and on even when I forget and have work-in-progress with the needle down, it just slides off.

I have the Hartly Base Extender that I purchased from APQS, it does hit the clamps as Ramona indicated so I use a yard stick under my elastic to hold the clips up and that works fine. I like the room that this base give to work with because I like to use stencils and it gives me a hard surface to work on.

Ditto, same as for Cheryl. The acrylic Hartley extended base is very easy to put on and take off. And it came with two very good rulers. Just don't drop them on the concrete floor! I broke one of my new rulers the same day I got it. RATS. But it went back together easily enough with Super Glue and blue tape.

I still have customers who just don't "get" the idea of making their backs larger than the tops and have had to clamp close to the top, so I've always used the curtain rods at both ends under the elastic straps to hold the clamps up and away from the machine.

PS: I've also "overtrained" some of my customers, putting the fear of too small backs into them, and have had backs come with enough extra fabric all around to back an entire second quilt! :P

I too have the RulerMate, have used another and it bumped into the bar and wouldn't slide under it as this one does...with the rounded edges it seemds to work better and its just a tad smaller as already mentioned and I don't have to mess with taking it off and putting it back on when I do ruler work.

Thanks to all of you for your feed back. I was just at Darlene Epps for a 3 day workshop, we used the Heartly Fence Extended Base for our ruler work. I was pleased with the amount of surface space, so when the opportunity arose I purchased one from a local shop.:D

I appreciate all of the information that was posted. Belonging to the forum is easier and faster than phoneing up all my friends that have LA's.

Janet

Archived