Ever quilted polyester?

Ever quilted a polyester top, or used polyester as a backing?  

Zeke~ any of those 'beauties' you've ever done been poly? 

I'm wondering about how to use up several cases of polyester fabric, and thought I could try some of it on those....unusual... quilt tops I got a little while back.  

I haven't tried it and am wondering about the amount of stretch, and if I should even try it?

tia, 

Sammi 

I've done several quilts with polyester fabric.  Double knits, even.  Fabric is fabric I guess.  They weren't works of art, but they did make a quilt.  The double knit stretches and it's heavy, but as long as you're not trying to do intricate pattern work it works.  Not much more trouble than any other quilt.  As far as polyester broadcloth goes, I suspect it quilts a lot like cotton.  I've probably done some of those, and I didn't even know they weren't cotton.  Use up that fabric!  Jim

I have done several and if it wasn't family, I would not do anymore. It can be tuff. Poly pulls and very thick at seams. Also very hard to frog if need to.

Someone gave me fabrics and some poly was in the bags. I decided to cut into 1" & 1 1/2" scripts and crotchet rugs. They are very dorable and does not matter about prints. I found just matchup colors is best. Ovals, are my favorate. Must add extra chains on curves. Not all curved area just enough to lay flat.

But if you decide to do quilts, try using no batting or very thin cotton with a cotton back. Otherwise is will be very heavy and hot to sleep with.

Hope this helps.

Back in the days when My education about quilting hadn't gotten there yet,  I made poly knit quilt tops

and quilted them on my dsm with an HQ frame.

I also made and quilted poly woven or poly/cotton woven and quilted them.

I guess I either didn't know enought to realize it shouldn't work,, or should have problems. 

With the knit I used a denim needle.

don't know that I used any thing other than a Schmetz 12 on the woven.

Thanks for the input.

I guess I'll give one of them a try and see what happens.  It should be a real learning experience, between me using poly for backing and the wildness of the quilts... 

(I really have got to learn how to upload photos!  lol!)

Since the backing seems heavy, I was debating whether or not to use a batting.  I was thinking something light, lofty, to help 'fluff' the wowies, and polyester, for laundering ease. 

s

Archived