Thread Shreadding HELP

Help, my Superior Thread is Shredding and I so need to finish this quilt.  IT is So Fine  new cone, pulled off several feet after each shredding and that did not help.  Changed needle, both pigtails and checked tension, I am at my wits end.  I must finish this quilt with this color and it is the only cone I have and I am not near a dealer.

Mary

Unthread back to the cone and rethread to assure you don't have thread twisted around a guide. Slather some Sewer's Aid on the thread if you have some. If the thread is flailing, it's out of control at the needle. Tighten both top and bobbin a bit for more control. Good luck!

Mary, was the new cone of thread the only thing that changed from "no shredding" to "shredding"? If so, try a different cone of So Fine, to see if you can eliminate the problem.  If the shredding continues with the change of cones, do a thorough cleaning of your hook assembly - maybe the top thread is catching down there as it goes around the bobbin.  Change bobbin cases, change bobbins, but only do one thing at a time, or you'll never know what the problem was.

I had this happen to me the other month and it turned out that there were two issues: 1) the thread had jumped out of the upside down guide next to the tension disks and 2) my machine needs to be retimed because the thread was only shredding when doing long lines from R to L.

Take a break and double check your thread path .. perhaps that'll be the issue. Good luck!

Well after changing everything that I could and re-threading all the way back to the cone.  I went today and purchased my first bottle of Sewer's Aide but I assure you it will not be my last.  That stuff is miracle solution.  Thread was soaked with this and the shredding ceased. 

Once again, I owe this forum my graditude.  I am passing on all of your wonderful tips to a new friend who has just gotten into the business of making quilt tops for people and she brings them to me to quilt.  As she asks I give her any helpful hints that you wonderful people have given me and IF I notice something with one of her tops, I pass along information then as well.

Merry Christmas and Thanks Once Again.

Mary

Archived