Color choices for border

The red-pink and lighter peachy-pink are the two fabrics I'm using throughout all the blocks to tie them together. What I wonder is if using the red-pink for the border swag will be way overkill with that color, and if using an equally bright other color will be just too much for the human eye, or exactly what it needs..... Your valuable input requested, please.

post--13461897971733_thumb.jpg

Well, Patty without knowing exactly what your are doing....I guess I will try to put my 2 cents in....are the blocks to be sashed in another color or the same background color? If no sashing is used and you use just a spot of color in each corner of the block I would almost say that a colored swag would be way way to much....I think the swag should be the same color as the background with maybe a thin border seperating them....but that's opinion....lets see what the others have to say.

No sashing. If the swag is the same as the background how will it show up??? Looks like people are fed up with me and my church quilt. I don't blame them. I have a tendency to seek opinions before making a decision. This quilt is being constructed mostly by myself, but there have been two women here helping me. That's why I've been here so often with my requests for input. I don't normally do that, because I usually do what I want in my own little corner in my own little room. But this time it has to be over the top, and I just don't want to do anything dumb.

I so appreciate your input, Bonnie, because you have so much more experience at this. EVerybody here does, which is why I come looking for their opinions. Guess I need to join a guild or something, when I have time, LOL!

Thanks a bunch. I'll go back to my little corner now and figure it out. :D Maybe I can find Beth at the shop when I get back and she can help me plan the quilting. That would be fun.

Patch -

First beautifull block -

I would try a blue as a border - the blue I see in the middle of the blue would be my first choice then possiblly a shade darker for my next choice.

I think it depends on what you want the quilt to say when it is done. Do you want it to jump up and shout or maybe sneak up on you... That would help me decide on a color for the border.

Thanks, ksomeit. That is exactly the color I want to use. It's great to have my instincts seconded by somebody. I want it to jump out and grab people, that's what. I'm not a sneaking up kind of quilter, yet, but I think I'm getting there at this age, LOL! That may be my next project. Back to the Quilt!

If all the blocks had the same character that this one, then I would suggest the brown you are using in one of the stars. Brown is fairly neutral and looks great with white. You could also had some red points where the swags meet. Or even use all the colors for points with the brown swags, a tie to cathedral colored windows. I had a pair of brown and white spectator heels once and they were my favorite shoes. You're off to a great start. Can't wait to see the other blocks Patty.

Vicki

Okay I must have missed something here. I thought you were making the swag to put hand applique on it...that is why I suggested it to be the same as the background so the applique would show up...if your not doing that then yes a color is needed. Sorry I guess I was confusing this thread with your earlier request on another thread. oops.

Patty - I agree with ksomeit - I really like the blue idea - if it is a two color

swag - you could add either a darker blue, or just as easily go with a nice

green or brown..... so many choices! How can a person ever finish....

Good luck! oh - and I really like your block too - nicely pieced!

Thanks, everybody! This makes me feel so good. The blue was my first choice after the pink. Vicki, the brown idea sounds great..... I'm thinking with all the colors in a small design at the points it would be really nice... I'll have to think of it some more. Fortunately, I have plenty of time before I tackle the border. So glad I found Borders, Bindings, and Edges on my quilting bookshelf where I'd buried it and forgotten in my sewing closet. LOL! Hopefully that will help with the actually sewing of it.

Off to So. Cal. tomorrow am to visit MIL in nursing home. Won't be back on for a week :( . You all my rejoice now. :P I think I'll copy these comments and take them with me for moral support.

Bonnie, don't worry, I often am the one not reading it right. Now I see what you mean. And I"ve posted enough for you to get mixed up in, LOL!

Have a great week, in case I don't buzz in here first thing tomorrow because I'll be madly packing still.

Archived