Tough backer and batting combo

The Jinny Beyer quilt I shared recently came with a seriously tough batik backer. You had to force pins through it. I opened a new pack of glass-head pins because I thought my pins were dull. Nope. You could, with some force, push a pin through perpendicular to the surface. On a diagonal, as you would angle to pin through the quilt sandwich, I had to reach under the frame to elevate the fabric so I could get a pin through all layers. The needle popped through the layers as threads were broken on the backer. It was an unnerving sound. The batik felt normal and didn't seem to have any residual wax present. It draped and loaded well. The thread count looked high, but most batiks are in that category. My customer was unconcerned and happy with the result. The backer was a pretty mottled blue and lots of blue lint was evident when I cleaned the bobbin area. I've never seen or heard of this before.

To compound the issue, the QD wool I used also had a tough scrim. Two thirds of the way through I started having missed stitches and thread breakage. After trying all the usual areas, I decided to check the timing. My needle depth was off. I think ( :blink: ) all the punching through of the batting and backer shoved the bar up far enough to affect the formation of the stitch. I know our machines are workhorses and can go for miles and punch through lots of fabric, but I hadn't jammed a needle or dinged a ruler. I can't figure out what else would have caused it. 

Linda

You are a better woman than I.  I would have just sit down in the middle of the floor and cried by the point. And the point about getting through the timing and still being married made me laugh.  I love reading your stories it makes me know that even the best quilters still have problems.  I like to read all of the stories on here because it gives me hope and inspiration.  Continued successes in your quilting.

Mary

Last spring, I had the same issue with a mottled blue batik  backing fabric. On the frame, it was tough, skipped stitches, but later, when doing the binding, I could not get any of my domestic machines to sew through it. It felt like pushing a dull nail through the fabrics. This was the week I had 3 quilts to bind. My left hand still hurts so I have given up hand sewing...I'm still looking for a binding machine. 

I even tried spraying it with fabric softner - it made no difference. 

Debbie

Archived