Basting Spray - which one?

I want to start using basting spray on the edges of my quilt to hold them down before sewing down the edges.  I'm wondering which spray I should purchase that would be environmentally safe, washes out, won't mess up my machine, won't leave stains on the quilt.  I'm probably asking for too much however I"d appreciate any input on this to help me make the best choice.   I also do charity quilts and was wondering if it's OK to use spray on those or not.   TIA

Sorry to be negative :(, but I'd advise not to use basting spray at all. Overspray will get on the exposed batting at the sides (where it will make your hands and arm sticky and drive you crazy), your rollers, and may gum the needle. Any overspray will float down and settle on whatever surface is below--carpet, boxes stored under the frame, your pet. Plus it's very bad for your lungs in an enclosed area even if you don't have breathing problems.

My quilty mentor uses 505 spray for baby quilts since she quilts them on her DSM. It washes out nicely but still gums her needle. But she sprays outside using a piece of cardboard to spray against, which keeps the overspray contained. Not inside on a loaded quilt...

Your list of requirements can't be met by any specific adhesive spray. Someone must have a brilliant idea to keep the edges of the tops down without spraying them.... B)

oh dear....I won't using basting spray either...I have asthma...and even if I did not...I won't....those good old long pins work...yep takes a while....a magnetic pin dish helps as it will stick to the rollers....just don't advance the quilt with the dish still on the rollers...LOL...but at least if you do, the magnetic dish really can help pick them up off the floor!  Lin

A friend of mine was given a quilt to quilt that had been spray basted together,   It was a nightmare.........wouldn't stitch right, gummed up her needle.  She had to take it off the machine and return to her customer.  Even on a DSM, it gets the needle gummy.   I've used it on small wall hangings, but didn't like the results.

I appreciate all the feedback - guess I won't be buying any basting spray.  I use the metal tray with pins now however if I get too close to the edge of the top it seems to ride over.  I think for now I just need to make my quilt borders a little larger and sew them down about 1/2 inch inside the edge.  That would eliminate the problem until I get better at it.   Thanks everyone!

Just an FYI about basting spray.  I don't remember the name of the spray, but it came in a pink can and looked just like an old Aqua Net hairspray can, only pink.  SAVE YOURSELF! Run from that stuff.  Someone used it at the quilt shop to baste a quilt, and it took forever and a lot of muscle to clean the cutting counter from the overspray from that horror.  505 still leaves things a little sticky, but it's much easier to remove the over spray.

Archived