Ebay Quilt Tops?????

I'm having one of those weeks where no quilting is getting done so far....Monday had to set camper up and make sure everything works so that we can use it next week hopefully....Tuesday, funeral for SundaySchool class member and then feed the family afterwards....today took JoJo one of our cats to vet and waiting to go pick him up...he was really sick...plus wife gone to surgeon for checkup for her knee replacement.

I could be quilting while waiting but I hate starting knowing I could get a call any moment and have to stop...just one of my quirks.

So I was checking out ebay for quilt tops...I feel sorry for those poor ladies who make some really very pretty tops and are almost giving them away.  I hope none are depending on what they make to support themselves but I bet there are.

Now I like making my own tops but if I didn't seems like that would be the way to go....cheaper to buy off ebay when you figure in the cost of your time, fabric and thread.  I know there are some who just like to quilt.  My mom hates quilting but loves making quilt tops.  I like doing it all.

Anybody ever purchase a quilt top from ebay?  How was it?  Was it what you expected?  How was the quality?

David

I bought a few - one was really nice and I've quilted it. Another one had nice fabric, but the colors leave a little to be desired (but I knew that when I bought it). Another had nice fabric but was poorly pieced. I ended up taking that one apart and re-piecing it; it's still in my to-be-quilted pile. The last one was a DWR. It looked nice in the pictures, but when I got it, the piecing wasn't the best, and the main fabric is a really thin, loose-weave muslin. If I ever quilt it, I'll probably have to put another layer of fabric between the top and the batting. None of them cost me very much - probably no more than $30 each, so I wasn't too upset that they weren't a real high quality.

HI David,

Yes, when I first started I bought a couple of quilt tops on eBay and was happy with them.  Make sure that they didn't prewash it because it really messes up the seams. One was a 30's feedsack Double Wedding Ring for $85 (shipping included)!! The other was an 70's Apple Core with polyester blends that was really quite pretty.

Also - there are sellers out there making tops for sale. I bought a bargello from one of those sellers that came out quite nice too. I've attached some pictures below, but I don't have one of the Apple Core. It's at the cottage.

post-3925-0-60047200-1421878045_thumb.jpg

post-3925-0-91049200-1421878223_thumb.jpg

I have gotten a few in the past, they do make good practice pieces as usually the piecing is done by hand on the old quilt tops and it is good to learn how to handle those kinds of issues that you may see again on future customer quilts....let me add that I have usually gone for older ones...but I did have a bad reaction to a recent old quilt I bought that must have had mothballs in it, it stunk up my washer, etc and I had to get a cleaner to make it smell fresh again...so you never know, ask questions as to whether they have had mothballs in/on them, been around pets, or smokers...so be careful....and ask the seller questions before you buy.....

I purchased a nice Grandmothers Flower Garden on ebay. I plan to tear it apart - a sheet was used for the backing and the "batting" looks to be a striped sheet. But it was the right price and I don't see myself paper piecing GFG, so I am happy with it.

I also found an old hand pieced quilt on Craigslist. I tore that one apart too, did some repair work and put new batting and backing on it. It's one of my favorite "rescues" and I use it .

You tops are nice yet challenging. Please share pictures when you are complete.

I have 2 that my friend purchased on EBay.  One is pieced well, one not so welll.  One is a sampler with not so great fabrics.  But a good top to do as I want and to try all the fun ruler techniques I have learned.  Will post pictures later.

Archived