seam issues

On this particular quilt I've got a situation where when the needle hits a seam it will break, but sews perfectly when NOT on a seam.  I think it has something to do with this particular quilt top - you can't FORCE a needle or pin by hand into the seams.  What should I look for in the future that will give me a heads up on identifying an issue like this with a quilt top in the future? I don't have any other stitch-related issues, it sews beautifully except when I accidentally go through a seam and there doesn't seem to be an issue with the timing or with bad needles, the thread isn't breaking and no tension issues on the back.  Need some advice from some of you experts out there, I don't think its the machine or the operator in this instance, I think there is something funky with the top.  Its made out of quilt store quality fabric (although it has been sitting pieced & waiting to be quilted for several years) --  is it possible that whatever thread was used to piece the top originally is causing the problems now?  I just want to try and figure out how to avoid this situation in the future & avoid all the frustration it has caused me.  Thank you to the experts for your time and advice.  

I was having the same problem, broke 5 needles on one quilt with thick seams.  I had been able to go over relatively thick seams before so, long story short, found out the machine needed to be retimed.  It took me a while to time it but there's a great video on timing. 

It's worked great since retiming but I still avoid bulky seams if I can.

I have retimed it. Sews fine, but for the pieced seams. I guess what puzzles me is that I sew representative pics on the website and there are a lot of you who SID but how is this possible if the seams don't' cooperate?  How do you know/recognize ahead of time when you first start to work on a top if it might be one to give you trouble? Isn't going thru pieced seams something the machine is supposed to do? I've been successful before....

I SID almost every quilt I do custom work on and I've never run into this paper...yes I'm knocking on wood!  I wonder if she did something special to her seams.  I've actually quilted through tons of layers for things like paperpieced stars and no problems.  I do go slow when I know I'm hitting a super thick seams.  I use a 4.0 needle.  I like 3.5 needles but the needle flex can cause some issues.

Just a thought, are the seams sealed with something like Fray check?  If you put a lot of this stuff on seams, it makes it hard to sew through.  I can't imagine anyone doing this on quilt seams but you may just want to check - you should be able to tell just by feeling and looking at them.

Archived