Is this possible???

My husband is getting creative...He wants me to make a tee shirt (rock bands) on one side..and used blue jeans squares framed in white for the backing??? A) I have never done a Tee Shirt quilt...B)  I for sure never use jeans for quilting....Is this something I should attempt? any batting suggestions??  and will this work on the longarm??

I have done a Tshirt quilt and I have done a jean quilt but never together. Adding batting to the Jean quilt made it very heavy. I did not quilt it on the longarm because it was made before I got a long arm. The tshirt quilt can be heavier due to the interfacing needed on the tshirts to prevent stretching out. I am not sure with the combination that batting would be necessary at all but maybe someone else can weigh in on that.

Here are some links that might help you on your quest.

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/quilt-jeans-denim-quilting/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-old-jeans-into-a-quilt/

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com/2011/10/free-pattern-day-denim-quilts.html

If you do an internet search, I am sure you can find many more.  Hopefully, you will share with us the quilt when it is done.

Cagey

Unless the finished quilt was on the small-ish side, it will end up being sooooo heavy you probably won't use it. A lap throw or cuddle quilt size might work, but remember the jeans side definitely won't be "cuddly" unless you leave out all the seams and pockets. Those are what gives a jeans quilt some character. If you use only the well-worn pieces from the legs it will be soft enough to use as a throw. But even with the thinnest poly batting it will still be heavy.

Don't worry about quilting it--a longarm can stitch through it without any trouble if it's one layer of jeans and no jeans seams to deal with.

Another thing to keep in mind---with a two-sided quilt, it's hard to keep the two pieces centered.  You may want to plan for a non-symmetrical piecing of the backer so any amount you're off due to stretching or slightly skewed piecing won't be as noticeable. 

If your hubby wants a jeans quilt, a great solution is to cut up the jeans into usable chunks and piece them rag-quilt style.

Only use one layer of fabric--no batting or backer piece. Don't use any seamed areas of the jeans. You can use the back pockets as long as they're surrounded by plain fabric (no seams).

Here's the fun part---rag quilts have double seam allowances on the front which are clipped and washed so they fray. With this denim rag quilt, you only have one layer so you piece by overlapping the squares by about an inch and sewing down the middle of the overlap. You end up with a half-inch seam on both sides, one facing up and one facing down. You can mix up the wrong and right sides since the top is reversible. You get fraying on both sides and it's not as thick as a double fabric seam. Much nicer and softer that a classic rag quilt made with denim. It's one layer so it's not overly heavy.

Then make him a T-shirt quilt the traditional way. :)  

Way back when, I think about 1968 or 1969 I made a quilt with denim jeans and work pants on both sides.  I put a (we had a stack and a half of hand/bath towels) in for batting.

With the hems cut off of course.  It was for camping, used in back of station wagon and to wrap large things when moving.  I think we still have it, tattered and torn both sides

and the binding went kaput.  It weighed 14 pounds.  too heavy to snubble but definate;ly warm when Mt. camping.

Many memories wrapped up in that quilt.

Archived