Need Ideas????

Got most of the stuff cleaned out of the garage.  Will be taping and floating the sheetrock on the ceiling today.  While I'm not working I'm researching quilting studios and getting ideas for my room.  That's more fun than the working part.

Here's what I need help with.  Unless I buy another storage shed I need to store some stuff in the garage.  (When do I stop calling it a garage and start calling it my quilt studio.)  These are things I CAN'T get rid of...not I won't but I can't.  The largest is a generator for when we have hurricanes and the power goes out. 

I have a 4' x 8' work table built in the garage on one side.  Everything I need to keep including the generator will fit under the table.  I plan on making some type of skirt to go around the table so that you can't see the stuff stored under it. 

My question is what to do on top of the table.  The 4' depth is a bit much for reaching things unless you crawl on top of the table.  I don't want to have wasted space so I need to use this space for something useful.  I already have the cutting table and pressing station so can't use it for that.  The only thing I can think of is to make some type of roller and hang a roll of batting on it.  Then I could just pull the batting from the roller and cut as needed.

Any other ideas. 

David

Oh my goodness can I think of uses for that space.  You could sit shelves on it and put fabric on it.  Keep a little foot stool to stand on to reach across and up.  It would be a great place for a AccuQuilt Studio cutter.  Great place for batting like you said. Finish your room and the stuff will come...lol...and it will find a home right on top of that table. 

Is your existing cutting table the correct height? The reason I ask is that by husband is a woodworker, and he makes and sells workbenches. He made one for me (at the correct height, as opposed to the height of a kitchen table) and it is great! No sore back from bending over, and space on the ends for my rulers etc. We have a fluorescent light hung over it so I also have good light.

Just a thought, in case your other table is not quite right.

Janice

Thanks for the replies.  I do have a small step stool I could use.  I have a desk that I'm going to use for a cutting table.  I will have to use bed risers to get the correct height but it's a nice desk and I don't want to get rid of it so I'm putting it to use.

David

That big table top is great for trimming quilts before binding, laying out blocks.........I sometimes lay my quilt top down and then "test" different fabrics along the edge for the border if I am undecided........I LOVE my big space, but I can get around 3 sides of mine.  Mine is also higher than a regular counter height.........easier on the back.   I cut on mine as well.  

Ann

The table is 32" high.  I'll figure out how to use that space once I get moved in.  I may try to make part of it work for my embroidery machine.  I already have a sewing cabinet with a lift up shelf on the back for quilting.  It also opens up for my serger.  I have a nice wooden desk that I'm going to put bed risers under it to lift it and turn it into my cutting table. 

Not sure if I'm going to do this or not but the rolling tool chest I just bought is 33 1/2" high x 27" x 18" wide.  I'm thinking of making a pressing board the size I want it and mounting it to the rolling chest.  The casters lock so when I get through for the day I could roll it into the little cubby hole I have for it.  By the time I finished it the board would be approximately 35" high which should be plenty high.

I just quit for the day.  It's my turn to cook dinner so I need to clean up and get started before the wife gets home.

David

Oh my Ann...I just want one roll of batting in my studio...lol. You have many. I'm curious are they all different kinds of batting?

I get them wholesale for my business.  I used to live way out in the country and always sold batting to my customers.  Yes, I have several different kinds and sizes.  Cotton, wool, dream puff, 80/20 in 2 sizes.

Archived